just made my first scoby.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeirdScience

Reaction score
it's a pretty looking pearly white scoby, about a quarter inch thick. i made it with few black tea bags, few spoons of sugar, nothing specific.. it's been about 5 or 6 days and blammo. when i smell it, it smells like a bottle of GT.

so is this the final product?? can i drink this?

i would like to drink 16oz a day, how much do you brew to maintain your daily drinking habit?

is determining the pH a must? i honestly dont plan on doing that unless i have too.

also what does "booch" mean? just reading this forum i see this word, when i google it.. urban dictionary says its a ***** and a hoochie.

thanks for helping a newbie out. :ban:

I let mine go for 7 days and bottle and start my next batch (every sunday afternoon like clockwork). How long you let yours ferment depends on your personal taste.

You can certainly drink it after 5 or 6 days. Taste it. If it tastes good to you, it's ready.

I brew 1 gallon batches weekly. This is enough for seven 16oz bottles plus my starter tea for the next batch. One a day.

I've never bothered measuring pH. If you follow a proven recipe, you should be fine.

"booch" is just another nickname for kombucha. kombucha --> kom-booch-a --> booch

thanks hunter i appreciate the response. mind sharing your recipe?? i just ordered a gallon vessel and a 12pack of bottles on amazon. ready to get this operation started.

I let mine go for 7 days and bottle and start my next batch (every sunday afternoon like clockwork). How long you let yours ferment depends on your personal taste.

You can certainly drink it after 5 or 6 days. Taste it. If it tastes good to you, it's ready.

I brew 1 gallon batches weekly. This is enough for seven 16oz bottles plus my starter tea for the next batch. One a day.

I've never bothered measuring pH. If you follow a proven recipe, you should be fine.

"booch" is just another nickname for kombucha. kombucha --> kom-booch-a --> booch

8 single-serve tea bags (I do half black, half green)
1 cup white sugar
1 gallon water
8-16oz starter tea from previous batch ( I usually get 8x16oz bottles per batch. Drink 7, use one for starting the next)

1) bring 1/2 gallon of water to a boil. Reserve other 1/2 gallon in fridge to chill.
2) stir in sugar to dissolve, remove from heat.
3) steep tea bags in water for 5-10 minutes, remove and let sweet tea cool
4) while tea is cooling, bottle previous batch to clear fermenter. Reserve last 8-16 oz for starter tea. If this is your first batch, use a bottle of unflavored commercial kombucha instead.
5) remove Scoby from fermenter, if there is one. Pour tea and cold water into fermenter. The cold water should finish the cooling process.
6) once tea is at room temperature, pour in starter tea. Add Scoby, if applicable.
7) ferment seven days, repeat process weekly.

If you want to flavor your booch, add this to the bottles, not the fermenter. I like to add some fresh ginger root (cut into matchsticks) to each bottle. 2-3 oz of fresh 100% juice (such as grape juice) per 16oz bottle makes a nice flavoring as well.

1 gallon tea seems to be retarded compared to the 1 quart starter tea i made last week.
this is day 5, tea is cloudy and the scoby seems to have started to collapse.. i did move it to another room on day 3, i think that may have maybe trigger it. but why so cloudy and weak scoby? smells a bit sweet but also vinegary

wwc4e1.jpg

6fvcsi.jpg

288m638.jpg

The SCOBY is fine. Sometime is will flip over or sink. This is normal.

I'm guessing the cloudiness is just from the active fermentation going on. Nothing about your batch really looks out of the ordinary to me.

hunter, at the end of your first fermentation period what does your tea taste like? mine is mostly sweet with a hint of tart and decided to delay the start of my 2nd ferm cycle. should i be looking for the ideal flavor before i start the 2nd ferm or should i try to figure in some additional flavor changes?

A larger volume will take a bit longer just because the colony has to propagate more to ferment it.

makes sense, thanks. :)

i would like to drink 16oz a day, how much do you brew to maintain your daily drinking habit?

I use a two gallon sun tea jar with a spout. This gets me about 10-12 16oz GT bottles (I take to lunch every day) along with 3-4 larger liquor bottles (I use to pour a glass for breakfast every morning).

I figure 7-9 days to ferment (depending on the ambient temperature in the brewshop) and then 4-6 days in primed bottles to carbonate. Generally I brew every weekend plus or minus a day.

The End of Days.

Buddhas Brew. Other folks've used GT's.

Trying to make one now. Used Holy Kombucha blood orange. Says it's all natural, raw and live. Even says you might see strands of live culture in it. I didn't, but it had some trub. Also, it's a Go Texan product. So, with any luck, the end of days are near.

8 single-serve tea bags (I do half black, half green)
1 cup white sugar
1 gallon water
8-16oz starter tea from previous batch ( I usually get 8x16oz bottles per batch. Drink 7, use one for starting the next)

1) bring 1/2 gallon of water to a boil. Reserve other 1/2 gallon in fridge to chill.
2) stir in sugar to dissolve, remove from heat.
3) steep tea bags in water for 5-10 minutes, remove and let sweet tea cool
4) while tea is cooling, bottle previous batch to clear fermenter. Reserve last 8-16 oz for starter tea. If this is your first batch, use a bottle of unflavored commercial kombucha instead.
5) remove Scoby from fermenter, if there is one. Pour tea and cold water into fermenter. The cold water should finish the cooling process.
6) once tea is at room temperature, pour in starter tea. Add Scoby, if applicable.
7) ferment seven days, repeat process weekly.
Making my first batch. Is it normal to have black strains hanging down into the tea. Thank you for any reply.

Attachments

• 15380536463916489028766093636937.jpg
    15380536463916489028766093636937.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
Making my first batch. Is it normal to have black strains hanging down into the tea. Thank you for any reply.
Yes. It will get thicker and more uniform over time. I forgot about mine sitting in my closet for a few months. The scoby was about 4 inches thick and all of the kombucha had either evaporated or got absorbed. It looked like a monster. Oh yeah don’t flush a scoby down the toilet.....:(

Yes. It will get thicker and more uniform over time. I forgot about mine sitting in my closet for a few months. The scoby was about 4 inches thick and all of the kombucha had either evaporated or got absorbed. It looked like a monster. Oh yeah don’t flush a scoby down the toilet.....:(
Thank you. I will remember not to flush. lol

My first home-grown scoby started out as a film on top of the brew; the mother scoby was on the bottom. I was just careful not to disrupt this film, carefully guiding my ladle around it. It eventually got nice and thick. I have two big scobies now; I removed the new growth from one to give to a friend; funny, underneath was the same white circular scoby I had started out with. These old scobies always float now; they ferment very quickly. I seldom bother to check the pH. I find I keep the brew in the room-temp secondary fermentation longer so they get tangy (I use blueberries or dried ginger; blueberry season is ending so I have to figure out what to use next). I make 2.5 gallons at a time; I will see if I make less as the weather cools down.

Back