Steam Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubleb

Reaction score
Anyone use one of these for a brew kettle. I'll bet they are good for basement full wort boils. I saw it on ebay.
PASTA1.jpg

linkhttp://cgi.ebay.com/GROEN-40-QT-STEAM-JACKETED-KETTLE-TDB-7-40-SAUCE-SOUP_W0QQitemZ200206985694QQihZ010QQcategoryZ57084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tilts and "UNIFORM EFFICIENT HEATING AT TEMPERATURES AS LOW AS 150 DEGREES"

Sounds like a great mash tun. Weld a strainer over the spout and you're all set.

I may be off base, but that looks like it's missing the whole boiler unit. Normally that pot will sit on top of a metal cabinet that holds the boiler unit that produces the steam. The small box sitting there likely houses only the controls and vlves for the steam entering the kettle and not the boiler or burner unit.

MikeInCtown said:
I may be off base, but that looks like it's missing the whole boiler unit. Normally that pot will sit on top of a metal cabinet that holds the boiler unit that produces the steam. The small box sitting there likely houses only the controls and vlves for the steam entering the kettle and not the boiler or burner unit.

Nope, we have one of these at work, and it is complete. Boils like a devil.

Short Drive said:
Nope, we have one of these at work, and it is complete. Boils like a devil.

OK, we have one too and the part shown is only one part of the large system. Ours has a large boiler and burner area that the kettle sits on as well as a two chamber steam oven that is the size of a small oven on each chamber. If I were to take the kettle off with the valves, it would look like what is shown. (and same mfg name as well)

Being electric would be cool. Wonder what the power consumption on that would be?

ok here is my $.02. You better ask if it is 3 phase or straight up 220v. Cuz if it is 3 phase like ours at work you no worky at home!

John

I have steam kettles, but mine are a different set-up and have bottom drains/outlets. I would think twice before spending $750 on a tiltling unit. The electric element is a great feature and $750 is a good price for a working unit.

Nwcw2001 said:
ok here is my $.02. You better ask if it is 3 phase or straight up 220v. Cuz if it is 3 phase like ours at work you no worky at home!

John

I believe one of the sellers on ebay said it could be rewired so that it wouldn't be phase 3.

BTW one of these suckers is about 300lbs.

Back