Newbie First Cider Attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean5446

Reaction score
Well, I did it. Finally. After planning on making my own cider in October, here I am am 14 hours in to my first batch.

I was given some Ryan's Organic Apple Cider, three gallons of it from the warehouse where I work that was a week past its use-by date. Two of the gallons looked normal, one was bulging a bit and frothy on top. I opened this on yesterday when I took them out of the fridge to start getting them up to room temp. It already smelled like hard cider.

On my way home I stopped by the Brew Shop, here in Bend, Oregon, and got a bit of advice, some Red Star Pasteur Champagne Yeast, a three gallon carboy, a couple stoppers and a couple airlocks.

I hadn't stumbled on this forum yesterday so I probably would have gone about things differently if I had but. . .

I sanitized everything with boiling water. I figured if it was good enough for my baby's binkie, it had to be good enough for this. After further research, maybe not. We'll see.

I put half a gallon of cider from the bulging container in to an old glass half gallon milk container, added a stopper and airlock and I am going to let this on go with no added sugar or yeast or anything and see what I come up with.

The other 2.5 gallons of cider went into the carboy with a stopper and airlock to keep coming up to room temp. IBoth jugs of cider had a couple bubbles pop out of the airlock every 10 minutes or so already. About 7pm I prepared the yeast according to the directions on the package. A quarter cup of 100-105F degree water and the yeast. It said nothing further so I gave it a shake to get all the yeast wet and let it sit for about 5 minutes. I pitched it in the 3 gallon carboy, (yet to be named) and replaced the airlock. They are both on top of my fridge, its about 67 degrees up there.

So this morning the little guy had good froth on top and i saw one bubble pop out and then nothing else, the big on looked about the same, small layer of bubbles on top not much else. The cider had a large layer of sediment on the bottom of each gallon so I shook it up be fore adding it to the glass jugs, now they both have a big layer of sediment on the bottom.

I don't know what to expect, I didn't add sugar to the big on either, just yeast. I wonder what will happen. Wish me luck. Oh and hello, I'm Brendan.

Oh, also. . . Given that this cider is unfiltered and cloudy anyway, what are the chances it will clear up at all? I understand it will settle out some, but I just can't imagine it becoming crystal clear.

Back