hops: Tettnanger vs. Magnum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pdaigle

Reaction score
I bought some tettnanger and magnum hops from a local provider and when I got home I noticed I had 2 bags of tettnanger so I sent a message to the provider and he screw up on the label so one of my pack is magnum and the other is tettnanger but how can I tell? now if I smell them should I see a difference? need help could this could really kill my recipe :)

Maybe ask the grower for some tips on how to tell which is which? Are the colors the same, is one darker than the other? Is one bag more compressed down and one more fluffy? Stuff like that. You've got a 50/50 shot at it so might as well as whomever you purchased them from for some visual clues.

Havent open the pack yet. Its says here tettnang has some pepper aroma so hoping to get that in only one pack ;)

Take both of them and make seperate cups of tea.
One will be more bitter than the other.
The more bitter one is the magnum.

this is probably the best bet. the big difference is AA%.
if cones, you might notice a difference in size. Magnum hops generally (but not universally) have larger cones.
tettnang is very floral/perfumey to me but does have a hint of spice/pepper.

I would agree with the folks here to make a hop "tea" to determine which is which..
Magnum is going to be a much higher AA% than Tett so should be easy to determine the more bitter one.

I would agree with the folks here to make a hop "tea" to determine which is which..
Magnum is going to be a much higher AA% than Tett so should be easy to determine the more bitter one.

It should also help liberate aroma. You should be able to tell the aromas apart, though if you aren't familiar with both you could quite possibly still not know which is which.

Be sure to weigh the hops before making the tea, though. If you use different doses that can certainly skew the bitterness results. A simple tea will not extract all that much bitterness (low utilization), so quantity can more easily throw things off.

Latest posts

Back