Add a collar to keezer or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I've got a Keezer that I've been using with cobra taps that fits 3 kegs and my co2. I just built this tap box for a party and now have everything to install 2 taps on a collar on my Keezer.

Only issue I'm having is that I have it in my basement which gets moldy and damp in the summer. I'm worried the external taps will fill with mold - anyone else have this issue?

Also right now there is alot of condensation building up that the cover is not sealing all that well-I think that may get worse with a wooden seal.

If you buy Perlick forward sealing faucets (525ss or similar) there won't be any beer left in contact with the air. Cheaper rear sealing faucets can stick and get moldy since they leave a small amount of beer in the faucet. Just buy the good ones and you'll be all set.

I have 2 perlicks (one old one) and a standard faucet. We don't have a standard basement when I'm talking mold - I mean it's pretty bad. Cape Cod is notorious for mold issues.

Are there any caps you can purchase to cover the faucets?

If you're using the cheap faucets you'll probably need to be more proactive than that, but I'm not really sure. A spritz of Star San at the end of the night might not be a bad idea.

My Perlick faucets have gone weeks between pours in a hot, humid garage with lots of flies around (trash is also stored in the garage) and there's never been any sticking or mold growth. I don't use the caps. The beer in the drip tray gets moldy pretty quickly.

:mug:

Latest posts

Back