Adding spices at 0 boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salombard79

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question I hope someone can answer for me. I am brewing a saison mini mash that calls for coriander, paradise seed, and both sweet and bitter Orange peel to be added at 0 boil. My question is, should I put the spices in a hop bag and steep while chilling or just add them to the wort directly causing them to remain during fermentation.

I usually just toss them in with no bag, they'll settle out after fermentation is complete. How do you transfer out of the primary, that would be my only concern, clogging a valve or something, but if you are siphoning, you should be okay.

IMO - Add the corriander and paradise seeds 10min before FO. You want the high heat to break down the spices. I use a stainless strainer ball whn using the two spices. A short burst in the coffee grinder and then pour into the ball.

Orange peel will expand beyond the ball so I prefer a strainer bag. The real issue here is clogging up during transfers and having the peel sitting on the beer during fermentation (something I prefer not to do).

In my experience, having the peel (orange, lime, etc) sitting on the beer during fermentation results in too much of the citrus flavor. A few lemon wheats turned into "lemon-o-rama" and "revenge of the lemon".

Thanks for the reply. The beer becoming to flavored in the fermented by the spices was my main concern but it sounds like siphoning it will do the trick, thanks

I just throw it in the brew pot and let it stay throughout chilling. Then, I strain my wort through a strainer going to the fermenter. 99% of it is strained out, what little remains will settle out in fermentation and gets left behind when racking.

That's how I deal with Zest and Coriander anyway....like above, I don't want it sitting in the beer for weeks due to becoming too strong.

Back