AG to Extract conversion help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey I don't have any brewing software at all so I was just wondering. If an AG recipe called for 5 lb 2 row pale and 2 lb munich... what would the conversion be to extract?

this is the recipe I'm trying to convert: http://hopville.com/recipe/464864/home-brew/louies-demise-clone-test-1

I assume I can just steep the crystal 10L, breiss, & honey (1 lb each)... any help would be much appreciated.

4lbs 4oz of Extra Light DME for the 2-row and leave the rest of the ingredients the same. You'll have to mash the Munich so it can convert though, just bring all your grains up to 154F and hold it there for an hour and you'll be fine.

Rule of thumb for me when converting grains to extract;

3/4# LME= 1# grain
2/3# DME= 1# extract

Time to grab the calulator. I can't promise this to be the EXACT conversion, but there are other forums here to help you.

Please note, I do this in frequency and haven't had any notably bad experiences. There will always be a difference in using extract vs. grain.

It's a 50/50 mix (or so it says) so you'd cut down the amount of DME you would use. The below would be pretty close without buying any "extra" ingredients.

3.15lbs of Munich LME
2lbs Light DME

Back