Gotta make a decision this morning....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
30 Plate Chiller or flat custom all copper counterflow...

CFC.. about $200 plus my time to fabricate... more expensive... but more 'integrated' in my setup.. and more hidden... less likely to clog... easier to clean...

Plate Chiller.. about $125 or more with fittings and tubing.... Small, comparatively cheap, efficient... more likely to clog... easy to hook up.. harder to clean..

Will be gravity feeding whichever chiller I go with... Pretty sold on Jaybirds new hop stopper set up, but that's another $170 or so (with whirlpool paddle and tax), but might use something (or just hops bags) for the first couple brews...

Will be using almost all 1/2" silicone tubing for hookup...

What do you guys use/want and why?... What would you go with?

The Plate chiller is attractive for the 'easy' factor.. (almost no fabrication).... but I'm concerned about cleaning/clogging.. Do you guys that own them have issues with this? If they do clog, is it a big deal to clear them?

I have never used a plate chiller but I would be inclined to use a CFC if going gravity-fed. I have had it work well in the past but now use a pump and it works even better.

Just sat down and did a preliminary layout of the CFC chiller.. If I go that route, I will have approximately 27-28' of 3/4" copper tubing water jacket in contact with 1/2" copper wort tubing...

Will that be a reasonably effective CFC?

I guess if worse comes to worse, I could always add a 20 plate chiller in line later... or even use my existing IC to make a pre chiller for the water during summer months.. (The water is ice cold in the winter months)

It will be effective. However, bending that copper tubing will be a bear.. Your better off making one like everyone else. Unless of course you have the proper equipment to bend it without kinking the tubing. Rubber garden hose and 3/8 inch copper tubing works great.

Back