Pick-Up Tube: No Vacuum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekbooth

Reaction score
So I have installed a ball valve/pick-up tube on my keggle and when I drain any liquid from it, the liquid stops draining at the ball valve level. I presume this means air is escaping somewhere and a vacuum is not being created, though I cannot detect any water leaks anywhere.

Here are some pictures of how it is all connected. Anyone have any ideas?

IMG00002-20100412-1053.jpg

IMG00003-20100412-1054.jpg

You need to have tubing connected to the barb on the outside AND the outlet of that tubing must be lower than the water level (plus a little bit for losses). Think of it like a siphon.

Yep, I went through the same thing. Attach a piece of tubing rated for the temp and hang it at least below the level of the copper pickup's bottom. Voila, Suction :D

I think everyone that's installed a diptube has probably been through this one, then you have that "epiphany" moment.

I did this yesterday. As I was opening the valve I was thinking, there is no way this will work without a hose. And sure enough I was right lol. Thought maybe somehow things would be different in this case.

Argh. Why didn't they teach THIS in science???? Thanks everybody.

Funny stuff. I was recently teaching some friends to brew. My other buddy who is a brewer forgot to bring his bottling bucket on bottling day :mad: (I don't even own one anymore).

We were unsuccessfully trying to get a siphon going somehow or the other with a racking cane and a bulb suction.

After several tries and being beyond frustration, I pulled the tubing from the racking cane, filled it with sanitizer, reattached and started the siphon.

My buddy's wife said "I bet you did very well in science class, didn't you?"

Back