Curious behavior with Wyeast 1388

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gxm

Reaction score
So I pitched my 1L starter of 1388 into 4.5g of 1.046 wort (was aiming for higher, but was my first AG with some complications).
After 4 hours, I was getting regular burps from the blowoff every 2 seconds.
After 15 hours, I had a 1" krausen and burps faster than 1 per second.
24 hours after pitching, the krausen had fallen back in and no longer getting burps.

I was curious then, so I took a sample & the gravity came to 1.026.
This is my first batch with a starter & my first batch with 1388.

I pitched at 66F and I am planning on slowly raising the temp to ~80.

Any other thoughts, other than RDWHAHB?

Not really worried about off flavors, though I would if I'd pitched at 82F. I'm using Duvel's yeast, and from their website:

"Duvel is fermented a total of three times. The first of is a top fermentation and takes place at 64F to 82F for 6 to 8 days."

80o should be fine - but only for the last day or so - I know this is what you intend to do.

Did you use much in the way of sugar in your Belgian strong golden ale? It should dry out to ~ 1.010 - 1.007 or so.

Pretty much the same experience here. I pitched at 65*F, fermented at 68*F, it slowed within three days but took another three weeks to finish. Warm it up and gently swirl every few days and it'll eventually run its course. I brought mine up to 72*F. There isn't any harm in going higher but I would wait awhile before going above 75*F to make sure you are past the danger of fusels.

Back