Opinions on combining meads?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewingMedic

Reaction score
I have a clover mead made with wyeast sweet mead smack pack that has finished a little sweeter than I care for, is good, young but good that is in bulk aging now. I also have a cherry vanilla melomel made with red star red pasteur yeast that just got racked into the secondary that finished real dry....

when the melomel is ready for bulk aging I'm thinking about combining them, see if I end up with a med sweet with light cherry and vanilla flavors, let them bulk age together for a bit then bottle...

Anybody see any reason this wouldn't work well?

I have a clover mead made with wyeast sweet mead smack pack that has finished a little sweeter than I care for, is good, young but good that is in bulk aging now. I also have a cherry vanilla melomel made with red star red pasteur yeast that just got racked into the secondary that finished real dry....

when the melomel is ready for bulk aging I'm thinking about combining them, see if I end up with a med sweet with light cherry and vanilla flavors, let them bulk age together for a bit then bottle...

Anybody see any reason this wouldn't work well?
Blending is a tried and tested method for flavour modification, so why not.....

Just make sure that the sweet one is stabilised, as any yeast cells left in the dry one, could potentially, restart fermentation.

You might need to experiment some, as you've no way of knowing how much of each is likely to be needed to make a nice tasting mix......

Or you can just give it some "what the hell" and mix both batches if they're the same size...... and hope!

The clover tastes really good despite its sweetness, kind of reminds me of a zinfandel in wine terms, green still, but can already taste some complexity starting. The melomel is still at the kinda cherry maybe flavored rocket fuel stage, but I wouldn't expect anything less from a 2 week old batch. The volume of each is real close to the same....I'm stuck between an even blend and maybe a 25/75 mix, end up with one sweeter and one drier...such a dillema...

Back