Brewer's Best Red Ale tastes bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crashmorgan

Reaction score
At the beginning of December I tried my hand at home brew. Purchased a starter kit at a local shop and Brewer's best Red Ale extract kit.

Followed the directions to the letter, so I thought. Bottled it today and couldn't help but give it a taste before bottling. Tasted bitter and very hoppy.

Did I do something wrong? Will the bitterness mellow out during carbination?

At the beginning of December I tried my hand at home brew. Purchased a starter kit at a local shop and Brewer's best Red Ale extract kit.

Followed the directions to the letter, so I thought. Bottled it today and couldn't help but give it a taste before bottling. Tasted bitter and very hoppy.

You're fine. What you're tasting is green beer. Let those bottles condition for three or so weeks at room temp, then another few days in the fridge and I bet you'll be pleased with what ya have after that.

Crashmorgan said:

It could be suspended yeast. It can harbor very bitter flavors which I learned the hard way by dumping almost all of my first batch cause it was very bitter then the last bottles settled and were great. It also could be your not used to hoppier beers even though this beer isn't that hoppy. My guess is it's just the yeast harboring bitter flavors. Let it go through carbonation and bottle conditioning then try it before you worry :)

The warmer it is, the more the bitterness will effect your tongue. Chilling and aging will lessen the harsh bitter. I wouldn't worry.

I appreciate the input. The bottles are cased and in the closet. It's gonna kill me to wait another 3 weeks before I can drink it. Someone said patients is a virtue, guess I'm going to have to learn some. Or I can just start another batch while I'm waiting.

Crashmorgan said:
I appreciate the input. The bottles are cased and in the closet. It's gonna kill me to wait another 3 weeks before I can drink it. Someone said patients is a virtue, guess I'm going to have to learn some. Or I can just start another batch while I'm waiting.

Yeah I think it gets better each batch. First batch i wa checking on it constantly and couldn't wait now I just don't even bother with it. Good luck :)

I had a batch of beer with a lot of Saaz in it that had an unbearably bitter finish that bit at the back of your throat while it was in the primary post fermentation. It mellowed to almost nothing (it actually ended up not being bitter enough!) after a few weeks of conditioning.

I am not overly happy with how bitter my brewers best American pale ale turned out.... its not bad, just kind of a weird bitterness.
And I am an IPA hop head.

Kokopuff829 said:
Yeah I think it gets better each batch. First batch i wa checking on it constantly and couldn't wait now I just don't even bother with it. Good luck :)

I'm with Kokpuff829 in the beginning you'll think about it, check on it, every "strange" thing you'll post a question about it.Just take the right steps and when you bottle start brewing another batch!

Back