Green/Astringent/Alcohol taste (hard to pinpoint)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axr

Reaction score
Hey homebrewers-

Need some help.

My last two batches - APA extract w/ steeped grains, WLP001; bottled & Hefe extract w/steeped grain, WLP320; fermenting - both came out green/astringent/acohol tasting it tastes somewhat malty as well (kind of difficult to pinpoint) I've read through Palmer descriptions and various threads on the forum but my question is - How long will it take before the taste mellows out? In the case of the APA, which is bottled, I can let this sit for a month or so additional and let it mellow. But in the case of the Hefe, which is in day 6 of fermentation should I let it mellow out in the carboy? (took SG sample last night and it tasted green - OG 1.051; current SG 1.022; FG to be ~1.013). I know Hefe's are meant to be drunk younger but should I bottle it when it hits FG and let it sit?

Am I doing something wrong in my brewing? These are my 5th and 6th batches brewed and I haven't encountered this taste before. My sanitation is good, ingredients fresh, using Brewsmith software, and doing full boils. Not sure what is all of a sudden causing this.

any advice would be appreciated

axr

How long will it take before the taste mellows out?

That depends on many things. I would try one bottle every week until you think its ready.

...should I let it mellow out in the carboy?

You can, or you could put in a secondary when it reaches the FG to condition, or condition straight in the bottle. It's up to you really, just make sure you hit your FG.

Plus, What temp are you fermenting at? Raising the temp a couple degrees could help the yeasties clean up their mess.

What is your process? Has anything changed in the last two batches that wasn't previously there?

Love your avatar!!! GO CUBS!

Wait -
But in the case of the Hefe, which is in day 6 of fermentation should I let it mellow out in the carboy?

What? You can not have a clue what it will taste like until it is about to be bottled and even then it will not taste right at all. It's tastes green because it IS green - A hefe will not taste good for at least 6 or 7 weeks after you brew it and 4 weeks after you bottle it.

The APA needs a GOOD month after bottling.

Love your avatar!!! GO CUBS!
Thanks, s1080. I don't think this'll be the year though.

You can, or you could put in a secondary when it reaches the FG to condition, or condition straight in the bottle. It's up to you really, just make sure you hit your FG.

Plus, What temp are you fermenting at? Raising the temp a couple degrees could help the yeasties clean up their mess.

What is your process? Has anything changed in the last two batches that wasn't previously there?

Wasn't sure if I should leave it in the primary for a longer period of time since it is a Hefe. I want to make sure I maintain some of the yeast in suspension since it is the style.

I'm currently fermenting in a room that is 64F (+/- .3F). Fermometer has been reading 66-68F consistently. I could raise the room temp 1-2 degrees if necessary.

The only thing that has changed is I went to full boils with these last two batches (previously doing partials on my stove) everything else has been consistent.

What? You can not have a clue what it will taste like until it is about to be bottled and even then it will not taste right at all. It's tastes green because it IS green - A hefe will not taste good for at least 6 or 7 weeks after you brew it and 4 weeks after you bottle it.

The APA needs a GOOD month after bottling.

Thanks Grinder. Everything I've read has indicated that Hefe's are meant to be drunk young-ish. I suppose my post is due more to encountering tastes that, up until these last two batches, were not present in my previous brews...even when sampling while fermenting. I guess I'll have to wait several more weeks. Would be worthwhile to increase the temp a couple of degrees as suggested by s1080?

The Cubs will do great as long as they keep playing the Brewers! Suppan today - we Brewer fans are very pessimistic about today's game !
----------------------------------

I have found that Hefes don't taste very good VERY young. Don't worry about the yeast - it'll always be there floating around. I've also found that the smell of my Hefe is a lot stronger then most batches!

No worries - it'll be good.

Not sure about cleaning up the mess but I have heard that raising the temps SLOWLY once the primary fermentation is a wise thing for flavor and I have done that . . .basically by not really worrying about the temps and I put the carboy in a warmer area.

Most brewery's do this also. I've made two Hefes one at 64 degrees and one at 58 degrees (January) and both was outstanding - the 64 seem a little dryer.

I like MOST of my lighter color brews young - IPA, APA, Hefe. The darker the the more aging but . . . crap . . what am I saying . . I drink them all at once anyway LOL

Leave the hefe alone. Let it sit in primary til it hits FG and stays there 3 days, then bottle it. No secondary.

If you rack it early you might stall the fermentation, and you'll remove more yeast, leaving you 'too clear' :)

Am I doing something wrong in my brewing?

Most definitely! You are a Cubs fan, and your brewing will always suffer until you fix that problem:p Sorry, I am a bitter Astros fan and am just looking for other fans to feel my pain. So, good luck to you and our Brewer buddies, and may the best team win in the end!

Most definitely! You are a Cubs fan, and your brewing will always suffer until you fix that problem:p Sorry, I am a bitter Astros fan and am just looking for other fans to feel my pain. So, good luck to you and our Brewer buddies, and may the best team win in the end!

I'm familiar with about 101 years worth of pain!

Back