Mead Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallags

Reaction score
Hello All. Hope you can help.
Made my first batch of mead and it had been sitting in the glass carboy for 3 months. Just took a gravity for bottling and it read out at 1.040. Instructions say the final gravity should be 1.017 or less. I plan on leaving it in the carboy for another 30 days but I'm not sure the gravity will drop that much. Any advice on what I should do moving forward? Thx.

Hello All. Hope you can help.
Made my first batch of mead and it had been sitting in the glass carboy for 3 months. Just took a gravity for bottling and it read out at 1.040. Instructions say the final gravity should be 1.017 or less. I plan on leaving it in the carboy for another 30 days but I'm not sure the gravity will drop that much. Any advice on what I should do moving forward? Thx.

The FG depends on many factors- notably the OG and the yeast strain. If you started, for example, at 1.100 for the OG the Fg would likely be .990. If your SG now is 1.040, it's very very sweet and so I'd think that either the OG was very high at the beginning, the yeast strain was rather unattenuative, the nutrients were lacking, or all of the above.

It really depends on the recipe, and the yeast strain.

Yooper said:
The FG depends on many factors- notably the OG and the yeast strain. If you started, for example, at 1.100 for the OG the Fg would likely be .990. If your SG now is 1.040, it's very very sweet and so I'd think that either the OG was very high at the beginning, the yeast strain was rather unattenuative, the nutrients were lacking, or all of the above.

It really depends on the recipe, and the yeast strain.

Should I re-pitch some new yeast?

I say bollocks to all the hassle......

Fortify it with your chosen spirit.......

Vodka will do a neutral job.

Brandy or whisky will do an equally good job but add to the mix of flavours......

1.010 to 1.020 is plenty sweet enough........ :D

1.060 to 1.040 and holding means stuck ferment...Even the lowliest ale yeast should be able to take 1.060 to dry as a bone in nothing flat.

What was the recipe...how much honey, volume of the batch, type of yeast, any other ingredients, nutrients, etc? Perhaps you meant the OG was 1.160? Or are you possibly reading your hydrometer incorrectly? Something doesn't seem right....

Long term update. I let the mead sit for a few more months in the carboy. Got FG down to 1.010. Bottled. Sample tastes great. Thanks for the advice.

Back