I raise a delicious pint to you all!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
...as soon as it is done conditioning that is.

Thanks to all who have offered advice/support during my homebrew problems of late. I believe the worst is over. I have a excellent oatmeal stout just about ready, tastes very good so far but needs another week at least. I have a really tasty APA dry hopping right now, should be drinking in a little over a month (OH the agony!)

I have decided my problems are definately yeast related. I will no longer use the brand of liquid yeast I had been using. That said, I will take some responsibilty too. I believe the yeast is capable of working fine, I have had a few good batches using it. The problem I have decided is that these yeasts seem to have extremely low flocculation rates. Which is fine for a hefe, but I had this with an irish ale yeast, a bavarian lager(marzen) and a california lager.

I decided this because the last difficult batch, a "steam" beer (I am calling a Vermont Common) is starting to taste drinkable after two months. It is still in the "clearing tank" in the fridge in the basement. Tasted it yesterday and the yeasty taste seems to be finally dissapating. I will leave it another week or so before bottling. Wish I had waited longer on the others before bottling. Oh well, live and learn.

I am sticking with dry for a while. My LHBS is pretty cool about ordering things they do not stock w/o an extra charge so someday I will have to try some wyeast or whitelabs.

So, thanks again and Salute :mug:

knights of Gambrinus said:
...as soon as it is done conditioning that is.

, a "steam" beer (I am calling a Vermont Common) is starting to taste drinkable after two months. I
So, thanks again and Salute :mug:

:mug: cheers

funny ^^ My Steam is called CT Common

umm, well, do not want to give the folks bad press as they are local/regional, but I suppose folks should know. The brand is easYeast they are from NH. Not much distributuon apparently.

Latest posts

Back