Probably a dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

food00d

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA back in November... and got busy.

That, coupled with the fact that I'm probably one of the world's worst procrastinators, is why it is still sitting in my basement, almost 5 months later, still sitting on the primary.

As the title says, probably a dumb question, but is there any chance that this would still be drinkable? I wouldn't want to waste the time and effort bottling it if it wasn't. If there is a chance it would still be good, I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any input!

Chances are, it will be great... You've already aged off a lot of the hop bite from the IPA, making it even better IMO...

Pull a sample, take a SG and then taste it... Then bottle it up and wait for it to carbonate...

ummm...try some and see how it is...if its bad...then give it away in bottles as white elephant gifts....if its good, which it probably will be (might have some off flavors sitting on the dead yeast for so long) then drink it yo!!!

I think everyone has a case of to pracrasties every once in a while, but seriously though, how can you forget about BEEEEEEERRRR!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

:mug: ;)

Thanks for the responses!

Definitely going to bottle it and give it a shot.

And yes mcaple1... I do have a profound sense of shame for ignoring my beer. Ah well, a couple of cold ones should take care of that!

Yeah, I got you Revvy. I know that medical issues take priority, but I don't think that was the case here. I am always peeking into my ferm chamber staring at my primaries thinking that time will go by faster....but then it never does.

You're alive?!?!?! It's been a week shy of one year since you last posted. Glad to see you back.:mug:

hahahahaha. It's true! Amazing how life can get in the way sometimes, aint it?
God bless my sister in law for sending me a gift certificate to Midwest, reminding me that I am and always will be a homebrewer :)

I brewed an IPA back in November... and got busy.

That, coupled with the fact that I'm probably one of the world's worst procrastinators, is why it is still sitting in my basement, almost 5 months later, still sitting on the primary.

As the title says, probably a dumb question, but is there any chance that this would still be drinkable? I wouldn't want to waste the time and effort bottling it if it wasn't. If there is a chance it would still be good, I'd give it a try.

Thanks for any input!

just clicking through posts and saw this one. i was just wondering if you decided to bottle, and if so, how is it?

Actually, I bottled it this past Tuesday. Over 7 months in the primary, but it smelled and tasted OK.

Thanks again for the feedback, I will let you know how it tastes in a couple of weeks.

Cracked the first one of these last night...

Fantastic. All you guys who said it'd be good were right. Even after 7 months in the primary. I even convinced SWMBO to try it (she was convinced it was rotten) and she conceded that it was good.

Cheers!

I wish I had the patience to forget about a beer in the primary this long. As always, the last beer I pour is the best one. Congrats on the find!

Put a sixer back in the corner of your closet, and try it in another year.

I had a discussion at my local brew club last week about beers sitting on yeast. It's not uncommon for me to let one sit for 2-3 months, because I brew when I have time and just let them sit until a keg empties. I've never had off flavors or any "badness" from any of my brews.

How does it taste? Also, do you use a plastic or glass primary?

I had an Irish red get severely oxidized after 9 months in a plastic fermenter. It was completely undrinkable. I seem to remember reading somewhere that brew buckets are permeable to oxygen.

I had a Red Ale sit for 3 months. I also have some health issues (not as serious as Revvy, glad you are still with us BTW). I did make sure the airlock had solution in it. I like malty brews, so I was very pleased that the hop profile was smooth but still there.

I am convinced that longer periods make better beers.

Back