Which Pilsner Malt???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoungrad

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a Bohemian Pilsner (my first attempt at a Pilsner).

I do BIAB single infusions.

So my thought is that I should use well-modified Bohemian Pilsner Malt? How can I be sure I'm getting well-modified malt? i.e. AHS has Bohemian Pilsner Malt but it does not specifiy whether or not it is well-modified.

Thanks.

I've been using Castle Pilsner, but always step-mash. Hope this helps:

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Acid Rest Add 21.00 qt of water at 97.8 F 95.0 F 15 min
Protein Rest Add 0.00 qt of water at 122.0 F 122.0 F 15 min
Gluten Rest Add 0.00 qt of water at 131.0 F 131.0 F 15 min
Beta Rest Add 0.00 qt of water at 144.0 F 144.0 F 30 min
Full Beta Rest Add 0.00 qt of water at 148.0 F 148.0 F 90 min
Mashout Add 0.00 qt of water at 170.0 F 170.0 F 15 min

In looking around it seems like at least some pilsner malts are less modified.

Several people do a multi-step mash.

Thanks for the step protocol. But I'm trying to avoid anything but a sinlge infusion. For me, lagering (instead of making an ale) will be enough of a change for this batch.

I've been using Castle Pilsner, but always step-mash.

If you've had experience with both; how does Castle Pils compare to Weyermann Pils? I haven't used Castle yet but I'm very interested to know what kind of flavor diffrence you get between the two if any!

European pilsner malts are not as highly modified as pale - while single infusion is possible, they were not meant to be used in such process, specially Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner malt.

If you insist on single infusion, i'd look for UK or US 2-row lager malt, but this will not make your pilsner "bohemian" at all. To be right with tradition, Bohemian Pilsner should be mashed with double decoction. ;)

In looking around it seems like at least some pilsner malts are less modified.

Several people do a multi-step mash.

Thanks for the step protocol. But I'm trying to avoid anything but a sinlge infusion. For me, lagering (instead of making an ale) will be enough of a change for this batch.

Plenty of us do step mashes, because we like too, and we think there is a small (but worthwhile) improvement in the final product. Probably even more folks don't bother and successfully make good beers (lagers) with a single infusion.

I think almost any pilsner malt will be well modified enough such that a single infusion works just fine. But remember, well-modified is not the same as perfectly-modified. No malt has just the right levels of hydrolyzed starch, proteins, etc., for every style you would use that particular malt for. It could be very close, but one can still do some tweeking if one is so inclined.

Maybe I'll give it a shot with a single infusion and bohemian pilsner malt. I'm planning on using almost entirely Pilsner Malt so the malt will only have to convert itself.

If you've had experience with both; how does Castle Pils compare to Weyermann Pils? I haven't used Castle yet but I'm very interested to know what kind of flavor difference you get between the two if any!
I have not had experience with both. Just suggesting that Castle Pilsner may benefit from step mashing. I am only following this recipe, and it was awesome!:ban:

Maybe I'll give it a shot with a single infusion and bohemian pilsner malt. I'm planning on using almost entirely Pilsner Malt so the malt will only have to convert itself.

Weyermann Bohemian Pilsner has lowest modification factor of all European pilsner malts, intentionally it's suited for step mashing with protein rest.

Do you know what the diastatic power is? I can't seem to find a number anywhere. I usually shoot for overall 30 degrees Linter or better for my mashes. I don't remember where I saw that number (probably Palmer or Daniels?) but it has been working for me so far.

Back