• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Trade: Wing type capper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smee44

Reaction score
I have a red wing type capper that I don’t use as I upgraded to a bench type capper. Similar to link but I don’t know what brand it truly is. (I got it used with my first lot of equipment)
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_356_61&products_id=988

I would like to trade for a corker. The SWMBO has required me to start adding wines to my brewing repertoire. And I think my wine would be taken more seriously if in wine bottles with a cork. I will sell it outright/post on the “pay it forward thread” if no one has a corker.

Thanks

If no one has a corker they want to trade by the end to the weekend i will post on the pay if forward thread.

I try, i am just hoping if anyone post a corker I can grab it before anyone else does? The SHMBO would be much happier if i trade equipment rather than just keep buying it.

I know what you mean! Unfortunately (or fortunately for the receipient), I gave away my Gilda hand corker in the 2008 pay it forward thread last year!

Corkers tend to be expensive, so they don't come up too often. I think I paid about $30 for the Gilda, though. The reason I got rid of it is because I got a floor corker instead.

I need a capper! I have a ton of random stuffs I'd trade you! Lemme run out to the shed and do a quick inventory.

Well, I just got a nasty message from Christopherx, who apparently had a claim on this in the pay it forward thread. :confused: Of course, I can't respond to him because his inbox is full, so I'll just post my response here:

I didn't mean to swoop in an steal this from someone, as Christopherx wrote. I went in to the classifieds ad, read that smee had a capper that he was going to post in the "pay it forward thread" (which I hadn't heard of and couldn't find). He also wrote that his wife would rather he trade than give it away. So I sent him a message with a pic of stuff I had to trade and he said yes. I didn't (and don't) know where the pay it forward thread is, and I didn't feel responsible to look.

It wasn't your capper, whether you made a claim for it or not. It's the sellers until s/he sells it to whomever he chooses (seller's privilege). For example, if someone is a supporter of this site and has been a member for a while I typically would rather deal with them over someone who just joined and is trying to trade or sell. I figure that I have better luck dealing with someone who has done other transactions or has some investment in the site than with new people who have a total of 6 posts.

For future reference, don't assume that just because you "make a claim" for something that it's yours. It's always up to the seller, especially if they post in multiple threads that they would like to sell/trade/pay forward something. It is NOT the obligation of someone who's interested in buying to check other posts that the seller may have posted and clear their purchase with other interested parties.

Okay, rant over. If you'd like the strainer, love temperature probe GONE ON PAY IT FORWARD, or tap handle (GONE ON PAY IT FORWARD) in this picture I'd be glad one to you for free plus shipping.

-Anthony

doggage and Christopherx,
I must apologize about the situation. I didn't mean to create a conflict. The last thing i want it to sully my name or anyone else's on HBT. Due to the close timing of both post i did decide to trade with doggage, I am sincerely sorry for the misunderstanding in the Pay It Forward thread. I will try and be more careful and not let this type of situation happen again.

Sincerest apologies
Smee44

Oh, no big deal. That kind of thing happens a lot with people sending PMs and other people posting. No big deal. It's not like we're talking about a 15 gallon stainless conical. Unless you happen to have one you're planning to pay forward...? ;)

Well, I just got a nasty message from Christopherx, who apparently had a claim on this in the pay it forward thread. :confused: Of course, I can't respond to him because his inbox is full, so I'll just post my response here:

I didn't mean to swoop in an steal this from someone, as Christopherx wrote. I went in to the classifieds ad, read that smee had a capper that he was going to post in the "pay it forward thread" (which I hadn't heard of and couldn't find). He also wrote that his wife would rather he trade than give it away. So I sent him a message with a pic of stuff I had to trade and he said yes. I didn't (and don't) know where the pay it forward thread is, and I didn't feel responsible to look.

It wasn't your capper, whether you made a claim for it or not. It's the sellers until s/he sells it to whomever he chooses (seller's privilege). For example, if someone is a supporter of this site and has been a member for a while I typically would rather deal with them over someone who just joined and is trying to trade or sell. I figure that I have better luck dealing with someone who has done other transactions or has some investment in the site than with new people who have a total of 6 posts.

For future reference, don't assume that just because you "make a claim" for something that it's yours. It's always up to the seller, especially if they post in multiple threads that they would like to sell/trade/pay forward something. It is NOT the obligation of someone who's interested in buying to check other posts that the seller may have posted and clear their purchase with other interested parties.

Okay, rant over. If you'd like the strainer, love temperature probe GONE ON PAY IT FORWARD, or tap handle (GONE ON PAY IT FORWARD) in this picture I'd be glad one to you for free plus shipping.

-Anthony

I wanted to handle this within private messages. I didn't want to put a downer on the pay it forward thread. Since it has been made public; I would like to explain things from my point of view at the time.

A lot of coincidences occurred which lead me to believe that doggage was up to something below board.

• This thread was 5 days old
  • smee44 already posted in this thread that the capper was now in the pay-it-forward thread
  • 36 minutes had elapsed since smee44 offered the capper and I made my claim bumping the pay-it-foward thread to the top of General Discussion
  • smee44's post in pay-it-forward stated "no one wanted this in my trade thread"
  • 5 minutes after I made my claim doggage offers a trade

After seeing this I assumed doggage saw the capper in the pay-it-forward thread, came here, then offered a trade.

Doggage, you're right, I'm a noob and only have 6 (now 7 woohoo!) posts. That doesn't make me dishonest or someone not to deal with. Since there is no money involved in the pay-it-forward thread (except perhaps shipping); I don't see how this is an issue. Ironically, smee44 only joined this August and only has 10 more posts than I do. That didn't scare either of us off from trying to deal with him.

I thought the rules of the pay-it-forward thread was a first come, first serve. You make a claim, others can make claims after you, but the first person to make a claim "wins". I don't really care about the capper; I felt like I was slighted. That was the reason for the private message I sent doggage (which was pretty nasty without swearing, I wished him future infected batches :().

In hindsight, I realize it is also possible that doggage saw this thread here, missed that the item was being offered for free, and made his offer with ignorance of my claim. I'm sorry for any trouble or anguish I may have caused.

Please, let's let this be a case of simple misunderstanding and get past it. Getting nasty and going on the offense (or defense) is very much against the spirit of paying it forward and really just jeopardizes its continued existence here.

Latest posts

Back