Just started with extract, break material question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
Ok so I've moved on from kits to full boil 50l extract brews, I bought me this baby and skinned it with insulation myself to increase energy efficiency.

8530_171005635745_578075745_3661770_7121319_n.jpg

Now I've done two full boils in it, well not full as it takes 75l, but I've done 50ish litre boils.
First one went off without a hitch, the second one two days ago however gave me a few problems. The main problem was that the hop strainer got clogged when I was draining and I had to do a lot of stirring to get the wort out. The problem with that is that I also pushed a lot of hop and break material through, so the wort was very cloudy. The first time, it formed a perfect filter bed and did a great job of producing a crystal clear wort.
My question really relates to the amount of break material in the fermenter. Is it a problem? Will it settle out or will it lead to haze problems later?
I think I'll secondary this one in a week or so to get it off any trub that has settled but am wondering if getting a clear wort makes a lot of differnce or not, or does it matter at what stage you get the break material out?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

(On the road to an eventual kickass herms system with another boiler the same as this one to come and the same vessel also made into a mash tun, long term plans :))

Most here on the HBT dont worry much about getting hop material and trub into the fermentor.. It all settles out in a good long primary or a typical secondary, which ever method you subscribe to.. Dont worry about the trub and break material.. Wont hurt anything as far as I have been able to tell..

Ok so short answer is it will settle out whether that happens in the boiler and is filtered out or in the fermenter, thanks for the answer. :)

I'm new to full boils and have only done one, but I've read a lot about it, so I'll give it a shot. The material that you don't want is hop material, material from the extract, and depending on how fast you cool your wort, crystallized sugars. The reason you want clear wort is because any trub you ferment can lead to undesired flavors. It's true, some people do say that trub isn't as big a deal as say, the ingredients used to make the wort. After all, the trub is solid material that made up the beer to begin with, but once it's done making the wort, it should be discarded.

From what I've read, the best way is to lift the wort off the trub. The best way I've read to do this is to get your wort to pitchable temp, swirl it with a spoon to create a vortex, and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. What will happen is that the swirling will pull everything into the center of your boil pot. Then you siphon all the clear wort off of the trub. When you get down to the point where you can see the trub through the wort, you'll be able to tell where to point your siphoning tube to get the most clear wort you can. I used this method with a Williams Brewing Belgian quad, and it worked well.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back