Help with milk stout FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

completenewbie

Reaction score
Austin homebrew left hand milk stout:

7lb amber, 3/4 lb munich, 1lb lactose.

From my beer diary:

Brewed sept 1st, OG 1.64

pitched 2 packs safeale 05

additions: irish moss, yeast fuel. Fermented mid 60s

Sept 29 reading - 1.030

Gave it a stir, added another pack of 05

3 days later, 1.030. Just gave it another stir and warmed it up a little.

Its a beautiful tasting beer, but I don't particularly want any exploding bottles.

Anyone have any insight into this?

Are taking to account the lactose in the beer? It might be high but it doesn't ferment. I usually use half lb of lactose. I never have used a lb.

I think 1.030 is as low as it will get. 1lb of lactose + other non-fermentables from the specialty grains (3.63lb as per their web page. And they don't say what is in it) could well end at 1.030.

I think 1.030 is as low as it will get. 1lb of lactose + other non-fermentables from the specialty grains (3.63lb as per their web page. And they don't say what is in it) could well end at 1.030.

Their instructions call for a FG of 1.018, which seems low (my last stout barely hit that, without the lactose).

Do you have more details about the specialty grains and which temp you supposed to steep the grains?
What exactly LME was used?

So, just incase anyone else has the same issue and bumps into this thread:

Nilo and I discussed over PM, and it seems that if you take the lactose out of the recipe, the instructions which come with the AHS Left Hand Milk Stout make sense - the OG and FG match. However if you add a pound of lactose everything gets thrown way out of whack, and you're looking at a FG somewhere around 1.030.

Anyway, after my last post I gave it a few days, took another reading (it hadn't changed), bottled it up (4.50z sugar) and have it 6 days -- just cracked open a bottle now (which I'm drinking as I type this), and it's pretty glorious. The carbonation is just right, nothing which would suggest that it was bottled too early. Can't wait for this one to get a few weeks behind it.

How did you taste the sweetness at 1.030?
A stout that I brewed once finished at 1.021 (all grain with 1lb of lactose) and it first tasted a little too sweet, but it changed a lot with time, like after a couple of months.

How did you taste the sweetness at 1.030?
A stout that I brewed once finished at 1.021 (all grain with 1lb of lactose) and it first tasted a little too sweet, but it changed a lot with time, like after a couple of months.

I like sweet drinks, so it was fine for me ;) Not as sweet as some drinks I've had in the past, sweet for a beer, though.

Latest posts

Back