I love Hop Rod Rye!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had Denny's, but if it compares with an APA, it doesn't compare with Hop Rod. Hop Rod is an over-the-top imperial-type brew with a ton of in-your-face hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma.

Last weekend I had the Crazy Ivan. It is part Racer 5 wort, part Hop Rod Rye wort, and fermented with a belgian yeast. Holy crap was it good.

A lot of bigger beers taste too sweet to me lately, but the Hop Rod is somehow magically perfect. Enjoy!

I've had it once, but I have to go to Seattle to get more. It was pretty damned good.

How does it compare with Denny Conn's RYE IPA? I just made a scaled down version of that. More like an APA....

I've made DC's RIPA and have had plenty of Hop Rod. Slightly different hop profiles (Tomahawk & Centennial per byo vs Mt. Hood, Columbus & Cascades) but very similar brews in many respects.

I had one the other night. It was most excellent. I've also made the Denny Conn Rye and they are obviously not the same, but pretty close. My girlfriend actually commented on that in her tasting notes.

Had my first one years ago while having brunch at Bear Republic. Took a gallon box home. (And one of Racer X)

Sound good.

You need the shirt.

hoprodjersey.jpg

I have had this beer several times and it is a great re hop monster, I even did Jamil's clone of it too. Yes a very very good beer.

Hop Rod Rye was my first experience with rye. It's an amazing beer and opened my eyes to the character that this grain can add to a recipe.

I picked up two 22oz bottles last week and they were darn good. Definitely a beer worth checking out. Bear Republic makes several very good beers.

Just tried a 22oz last night, got it at Lukas Liquor in K.C. - MAN, what a beer selection they have!

It was quite delicious. Awfully hoppy, which can be hit-or-miss for me, but very tasty. Very comparable to Shmaltz's He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny. Very nice stuff.

Latest posts

Back