Secondaries For Ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
What are y'alls opinions on this?

Should I wait until fermentation is done, then let sit in the primary a couple more days before bottling.......or would a secondary provide some benefit that could not be had doing the above stated method?

Or are there other methods that would work even better?

I'm new to brew, btw. Sorry if this is a silly question.

Here's the recipe:

8.5 pounds Golden Promise Malt
.5 pounds Maris Otter
6oz Aromatic Malt
2oz Flaked Rice
2oz White Wheat

1oz saaz pellets (aroma/flavor)
2oz amarillo leaves (bittering)

wyeast American ale 1056

OG 1.047

Or are there other methods that would work even better?

It's a matter of preference really. Some experienced brewers swear by primaries only, while others believe in secondaries for clearing. Whatever yields the best results for your own techniques and preferences is what you'll develop. If you're really wondering about both techniques, try both. I personally do secondary for most all my ales: before I consider kegging, I'll rack to secondary...will dry hop for a week or so if an IPA...and then will cold crash to really compact any sediment before symphoning to the keg. I find this minimizes any cloudiness or chill haze in my tapped beer.

The main thing that all HBTers will tell you, though, is whether you secondary or not...always do it once fermentation is done (which is best to judge by gravity readings and not a timetable). And that if you are sticking with just a primary: you still need to leave it be for a time for everything to clear.

Lots of conflicting opinions on this, but I only primary and my brews come out clear and clean. Mostly because I'm lazy. Brewing's one of the few hobby's where procrastination pays off.

Back