Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone try different hops for this? I find these hops to not be my thing. Looking to get creative and not going with boring C's

Anyone try different hops for this? I find these hops to not be my thing. Looking to get creative and not going with boring C's

Not a C hop in this batch. Other German or Czech noble hops would work- hallertauer mittlefruh, saaz, maybe even Styrian goldings. Strisselspalt would work as well.

If you want to go a whole 'nother way with American hops, it would be possible but I"ve never done it. An idea would be to use a cascade and willamette mix. That's the hop combo I love in Bell's Amber Ale.

Not a C hop in this batch. Other German or Czech noble hops would work- hallertauer mittlefruh, saaz, maybe even Styrian goldings. Strisselspalt would work as well.

If you want to go a whole 'nother way with American hops, it would be possible but I"ve never done it. An idea would be to use a cascade and willamette mix. That's the hop combo I love in Bell's Amber Ale.

I did a batch with homegrown galena and it turned out ok.

I was just wondering for anyone who's made this recently if you could compare it to any commercial brands that are out there. I'm interested in making it and my wife wanted a nice summer drinker and I think it fits the bill.

I was just wondering for anyone who's made this recently if you could compare it to any commercial brands that are out there. I'm interested in making it and my wife wanted a nice summer drinker and I think it fits the bill.

No, it's not really like any commercial beer I can think of, except maybe for some tap rooms that have a blonde ale. It's not really a traditional blonde ale, either, and it isn't a light lager or American cream ale.

It's got German hops, but sweeter malt with the Vienna malt, but it's not sweet. It's not bitter, either. I guess it's like a Miller High Life with a bit more flavor? if I had to pick one.

No, it's not really like any commercial beer I can think of, except maybe for some tap rooms that have a blonde ale. It's not really a traditional blonde ale, either, and it isn't a light lager or American cream ale.

It's got German hops, but sweeter malt with the Vienna malt, but it's not sweet. It's not bitter, either. I guess it's like a Miller High Life with a bit more flavor? if I had to pick one.

I think that may be selling it a bit short. It has quite a bit more flavor (and I like a Miller Lite once in a while) I think the first time I brewed it, it reminded me of the beers that my dad drank back in the late sixties and early 70s that I used to steal from the basement refrigerator. Pre-sell out Schlitz or Pfeiffer, maybe?

It's a pretty good beer.

I can't really think of anything commercial that compares. Its a damn good beer.

Great beer as is. My second attempt I'm going to mash at 151-152 for a bit more body in the finish.

Gna try this recipe on Friday, supposed brew it on weekend but renovations got in the way.
What water profile would be good for this?.
Thanks

Same here. RO water and 5 grams of CaCl in the mash, nothing in the sparge. Nothing fancy.

Just opened my first bottle of this one. This is absolutely delicious! I'll definitely be making this one again.

Thanks Yooper! :mug:

Same here. RO water and 5 grams of CaCl in the mash, nothing in the sparge. Nothing fancy.

Five grams = approximately 1.25-1.5 teaspoons.
The same amount will work when using purchased soft bottled water like Poland Spring. I'll use Brewer's Friend as an example, so their Pilsner or "light and malty" profile would fit this style.

Other yeasts to substitute - WLP001 or Saflager 34/70. Both attenuate well, so you might get a drier version, if desired.

Just brewed this beer today per recipe except used white labs 007. Will let you guys know how it turned out. Going to have to change the name to eclipse though.

Brewed this past weekend. 12 gallon batch happily fermenting away. Will bottle half and keg the other, cant wait to taste this bad boy!!!

6cgVKCOY-Sko82Y5sK_og6Vd5jStJQaLCHFhTWk6pyqtCqkH72w-5t_G2dNFXm_Te85-0LDfAaYWAOA685GoP4iCRE7l-QIxEUEduzcGFTuUe7EXhQqnZvBxC5382sbL4jRK_VUwUcGcB34vn9dSTKhIA9u79w_2QiHd4F77_4bfL4S_qF29TGuekwMKERtCChAadB3wh_-T3DYFKjcVUB5Aj0vTnOmk9cEQjp1FjaK-Gy9DfKwhEREeX_aNU0nD9nEmtvK1DZbjyeJRqhoKXafXp-JxbJxGcPZYNLrdP0d5lTI9xU2UNaD247LgJMdMzOceT9bN0iHaxesTSDgZe0OLeM_8-y2A18PQ5sCSDcZu5ChfCQd5973REHvaf6amN0XZh6QYTSihHZHeJsF67M20qcSAA43WCgr5WQ1hWc4eAwjTit8lpbrIslaQ6xDS-6-b-L3OiaWtO8DDVBXk4CrGJxzwvNOcp6FjRFqMA6bA_aiGdn-ws_7qbfF3bM7kl2_lPcpMNW5ICabWewTQQUXjsO7gsjaCz0NNAkdAmjiomz014a42R0q-PDf7tb0FkevT9eOw3TvtuUKj-TyNKLWho3psONC3De08yV21_Q7Ne5OSOeCR9SeOzvnKMEg=w1343-h925-no

My house ale is pretty similar. Just mo and chevallier malt, some neutral bittering hops and saaz or mittelfrüh as late additions.

I am playing around with different yeasts, so far I prefer English yeasts over the cleaner American ones, although it might be a matter of personal taste.

I like simple recipes with noble hops!

A question about this recipe....
There is .5 oz of Tettnang hops added at 0 minutes. Is this considered dry-hopping during a primary or secondary fermentation?
Or is .5 oz added at flameout, run through the chiller and added to the fermenter? Strained out before going to a fermenter?
I'm not sure how to handle that last addition at 0 minutes.

I do BIAB brewing.

Plus, I'm using Brew Target software, increasing the recipe to 11 gallons and almost all the numbers are on the low side of the bubble. But IBU is way low - outside the bubble at 18.6 IBU. The recipe says it should be at 21 IBU. Maybe this really isn't much of a taste difference?

I used American Pale Ale as the type of beer in the software. Am I doing something wrong with Brew Target? Or the Recipe?

yellowfizzybeer.JPG

My recipe:
15.4 lb Vienna
6.6 lb Pilsner
1oz of each of the hops (since I can't get a 1.1 oz package)

Attachments

• yellowfizzybeer.JPG
    yellowfizzybeer.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 98
@rkhanso try changing the beer type to cream ale as Yooper has it listed. The IBU range should be around 8-20.

The last hop addition is added at flame out, not a dry hop. Some strain before going to the fermenter, some dump it all in. I've got a hop spider so that contains most of the hop debris and keeps it from the fermenter.

Thanks - Duh, not sure why I didn't see it was a Cream Ale. That brings the Brew Target bubbles more in line overall.

And thanks for that info on the hops. So, is there any time minimum or maximum that I should adhere to with hops in the after-boil? Or maybe just trial and error after brewing it multiple times?

FYI - I use a CFC and usually pump from the kettle very soon after flameout through the CFC and into a plastic conical fermenter. I pump very slow through the CFC so I can get the temp from 200F down to 65F in to the fermenter. I'd like to keep the hops sediment out of the CFC and fermenter if possible so I suppose using a fine mesh bag is probably my best option. Unless this hop gunk is desired in the fermenter to give additional hop flavor?

Last edited:
Not a fan of this beer. Been home brewing for 7 years. Make Hefeweizen, Wits, 805 Clone, Kiltlifter, Oatmeal Stout, Moose Drool, Coffee Stout, Pear Cider, Cran-Raspberry Cider, Cherry Cider, Irish Red Ale, Pale Ale, Grapefruit Pale Ale, Emma Stone Blonde Ale, and various experimental batches. But this? This, Fizzy Yellow Beer was the beer that caused SWMBO to look at me after taking a big sip and say, "Finally!"

"Finally what?" I asked.

"Finally something I like," she responded.

Grrrr. Sure it tastes great, but "finally?" Not what I wanted to hear. [emoji16]

Not a fan of this beer. Been home brewing for 7 years. Make Hefeweizen, Wits, 805 Clone, Kiltlifter, Oatmeal Stout, Moose Drool, Coffee Stout, Pear Cider, Cran-Raspberry Cider, Cherry Cider, Irish Red Ale, Pale Ale, Grapefruit Pale Ale, Emma Stone Blonde Ale, and various experimental batches. But this? This, Fizzy Yellow Beer was the beer that caused SWMBO to look at me after taking a big sip and say, "Finally!"

"Finally what?" I asked.

"Finally something I like," she responded.

Grrrr. Sure it tastes great, but "finally?" Not what I wanted to hear. [emoji16]
I read this to my wife and we both laughed. Well, she actually had a very hearty laugh. I chuckled out of duty, and felt your pain.
This is us to a "T"

7 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 70.00 %
3 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) UK (1.0 SRM) Grain 30.00 %
0.50 oz Pearle [8.40 %] (60 min) Hops 14.4 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (45 min) Hops 6.6 IBU
0.50 oz Tettnang [4.20 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash at 150 degrees for 60-75 minutes. Sparge to get boil volume. Boil for 60 minutes, and rapidly chill to 62 degrees. Add yeast, and ferment at 62 for 14 days. Rack into secondary, or keg, and crash cool until clear.

This beer was not originally mine- I found it somewhere here, but can't find the thread of who posted it. Will the real recipe-czar please confess? I made a few changes, to match my supplies, but other yeast strains can be used. German Ale yeast, at a cool ale temperature, would be wonderful. This beer tastes like a more flavorfull BMC.

Beersmith file: View attachment 11329

Due to my long and low temp mash, it finished at 1.008, lower than my goal of about 1.010-1.012. I thought it might be too dry, but it actually turned out perfect!
I might be mistaken , but I thought for a beer to be a "cream ale" it has to have corn (flaked maize) in the grain bill...

I've chased making Genessee a few times and most "best cream ale" recipes actually don't have adjuncts of corn or rice, but maybe have table sugar to dry them out. It's interesting because I always thought corn was pretty much required also.

I've chased making Genessee a few times and most "best cream ale" recipes actually don't have adjuncts of corn or rice, but maybe have table sugar to dry them out. It's interesting because I always thought corn was pretty much required also.
Genessee beer...are you referring to the beer made in upstate NY? My grandfather loved that and drank it often.
genesee-can.jpg

it's in green cans where I find it, but it is one of those things I'll have in the house when someone's not interested in English pub ales or German styles or whatnot.
upload_2019-1-29_15-33-6.png

@Yooper had a great recipe that American-hop-ized it nicely and that's the one I end up making all the time now. It's kinda Gennee Cream but Cascade/Amarillo late hop for interest.

I've not tried brewing cream ale yet but I'd like to...my favorite locally brewed cream ale is vapor trail by rocket republic near here, Madison Alabama.

I just brewed this recipe as my first BIAB batch. I’m very happy with the results and thanks @Yooper for the recipe. This is my first pint after I cleared my dip tube and lines of my finings. It’s been on gas for 6 days and is just a tad immature still but I really wanted to see how it tasted. The color is awesome and it’s a mild enough flavor that just about any BMC drinker should enjoy it.
3605D0A5-2B75-4492-A10D-9C1D958E5081.jpeg

I just brewed this recipe as my first BIAB batch. I’m very happy with the results and thanks @Yooper for the recipe. This is my first pint after I cleared my dip tube and lines of my finings. It’s been on gas for 6 days and is just a tad immature still but I really wanted to see how it tasted. The color is awesome and it’s a mild enough flavor that just about any BMC drinker should enjoy it.
View attachment 609794

Looks great!

Having drank Genny Cream Ale, also known as "the green death", I'm sure that there is corn in the recipe.

It was wonderful. I "lagered" it for a couple of weeks in the keg and then "jumped" it into a new keg so there wouldn't be any sediment in it when I took it out to the lake. (Black QD, beerline, black QD- pushed with co2).

It worked perfectly- crystal clear (using only whirlfloc) and no sediment to offend non-homebrew drinker's sensibilities. Everyone loved this beer. My homebrew ale loving husband, and my lager loving friends, all sucked it down with gusto. I liked it, too. It's got the basic taste of a crisp German lager, but with a bit more flavor.

Thanks for posting. I need to make!

This was my second all grain brew ever. My techniques weren't what they are today, no temp control, etc. Everything was off and that was on ME lol Anywho this is one I've wanted to get back to since that day. I'll be brewing this next weekend. Can't wait! Changes will be using Magnum for bittering and wlp001 for the yeast.

Just put in the grain order at the LHBS. Going to be using Magnum (since I have a ton in the freezer) to bitter with instead of Perle. Will be using tettnang also. I have a pinch of Nugget hops left. Do you think I could sub in a pinch of that with Magnum (if needed to hit the ibus) as the first wort addition?

Back