Bells Yeast Harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
Just failed to wrangle some Bell's Two Hearted yeast for Sundays brew. Spent 6 days growing up the dregs from 4 bottles and it turned sour on me for the final step up to 1.5L. Anyone know the wyeast/white labs equivalent? This set me back a little, had to break out the washed Denny's 1450 for the weekend brew, if that fails S05 is waiting in the fridge with washed WLP029.

US-05/WLP001/WY1056 will all work as a sub. From what I've gathered, Bell's yeast is a mutated Chico/CalAle strain.

I just used 1056 for a 2 hearted last Saturday with a 1.5L starter. Still bubbling away, pretty active fermentation.

I would use 1272 (I believe BYO recommended it for a clone) and I have had really good success with it but there really is no Bells yeast commercially available. By the way they use the same yeast for the majority of their beers so you don't really need to get it from Two Hearted. I believe most people get it from Oberon since it is a smaller beer and is actually the first generation they use if I remember correctly. They then wash it and use it in their other beers from there. You could also get it from their Pale Ale. Again, I am saying all this based on memory but I believe Oberon is the first generation.

Latest posts

Back