Unibroue!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleofnowhere

Reaction score
I am heading to Fermont, Quebec for supper tonight (Best Pizza Ever at Zonix Bar) and a Hoegaarden (can't buy it here in this town). While I am there, I am gonna hit up the grocery store and pick up some Unibroue Beer. Still not sure which one I am gonna pick up, hopefully they have a sampler pack, because I want to try them all. I have had Fin Du Monde and Ephemere Pommes (and the Raspberry version of this) and they were all good. Here are the links to their beer styles.

Blanche du Chambly

Fin Du Monde

Trois Pistoles

Don De Dieu

Ephemere Pommes

Seigneuriale

Chambly Noire

Maudite

The SWMBO is gonna be pissed when we get there and I start filling shopping carts up with beer...lol

Has anyone tried any of these beers? Comments?

Every store in Quebec will have pretty well all of them. The grocery store in Fermont has a full section of shelves dedicated to Unibroue, then another section dedicated to everything else.

Anyone from the area know how to properly pronounce Unibroue? I've been wondering about this for a while.

Don De Dieu is in my top 5 favs of all time (although I haven't tried Trois Pistoles yet and I think I may like it too). I had a bottle of Don in my fridge that I didn't know about for over a year, it was perfection (and even more smooth and rich than what it tastes like relatively young).

Anyone from the area know how to properly pronounce Unibroue? I've been wondering about this for a while.

I saw the reps from Unibroue at a beer festival here in Chicago, they pronounced it "Oo-knee-brew." I've seen many festival representatives who are often less informed about the beer than half the attendees, so take that with a grain of salt.

I'm a big fan of the Maudite and the Trois Pistoles. La Fin Du Monde is really good too, but you've had that before.

I have a question. I've drank Fin du Monde and it was really good. I kept the bottles for hombrewing but I noticed the top has a thread like its a screw-top. Of course, they condition in the bottle so I think this can't be true. Am I safe using the bottles for my homebrewing? Oh, by the way, both Fin du Monde and Trois Pistoles are very good.

It's true, the Unibroue bottles are screw-top. I didn't notice until i had already shed their labels and the annoyingly hard to get off gold foil. You can use screw-tops for bottling, but you risk not getting a good seal. Better off using the pop tops.

All the Unibroue Beers are top notch. I had the opportunity to try all of them side by side at a brewfest and they all rock. My favorites are is the fin du monde and Don de dieu, but SWMBO loves Ephemere and Blanche de Chambly. Buy them all if you can get them or try to make a clone. Speaking of, does anybody have any good clone recipes for any of these?????????

I have hhad great success reusing Canadian Screw Tops for my homebrew, with both a bench capper and wing capper.

The bottles are reused by the beer companies so I figure they are good for us to resuse as well.

It's true, the Unibroue bottles are screw-top. I didn't notice until i had already shed their labels and the annoyingly hard to get off gold foil. You can use screw-tops for bottling, but you risk not getting a good seal. Better off using the pop tops.

My local beer shop sells them in the larger bottles (I can't remember if they're 22 oz or 750 ml) but I'm pretty sure they are pop-top.

Blanche du Chambly is not good. Get Trois Pistoles, Don De Dieu, and Maudite. Unibroue use to be my favorite brewing company.

at my depanneur (french for convenience store) the big 750ml (?) bottles are 2 for 8.99 or you can get a six pack for 9.99$. it seems crazy I have never even thought of brewing something like one of their beers. It might turn out good.

It's expensive here in the USA. They come in 4 packs, which are generally $10-11 USD for that. It's worth it since it's an incredible craft brew, it's not extremely well known here in the States, most people only know La Fin Du Monde, which is ok to my tastes but more of a lawnmower/summer beer to me (and I do most of my drinking in the air conditioning at night LOL).

Trois Pistoles and Don De Dieu are my favorites, but La Fin Du Monde is one of the first belgian style beers I tried long ago and it changed my life!

If I had to rank the main ones you find in stores I would say:

1) La Fin Du Monde (classic Belgian Trippel): A
2) Maudite (spicy strong Belgian amber ale): A-
3) Trois Pistoles (strong Belgian brown ale): A-
4) Don de Dieu (Tripel Wit): B+
5) Chambly Noire (Double dark wheat ale): B+
6) Blanche de Chambly (boring Belgian white ale): B-

Okay, so I had the sampler pack in my cart and a 6 pack of Don De Dieu, the SWMBO nixed the whole idea, because she picked up a 36 pack of Coors for the party....I managed to get the 6 pack of Don De Dieu but never got the sampler pack.

Oh well, just another reason to drive to fermont again next week.

I've never had the Don De Dieu... I've had/enjoyed just about ever other one. I look up and I have Fin Du Monde, Raftman, and Quatre Centieme bottles (empty) sitting on my shelf. I know I have Maudite at home in VT. I go to University in Montreal, so its really easy to get your hands on it here; every dep has it.

I should get some... but I"m not out of homebrew yet (choc stout, IPA, and Guinness clone on tap!)... the time will come soon enough when I'll run out :(

My local beer shop sells them in the larger bottles (I can't remember if they're 22 oz or 750 ml) but I'm pretty sure they are pop-top.

Never seen 22 oz bottles, but they may exist. The small bottles are expensive here, and the 750ml come corked.

the SWMBO nixed the whole idea, because she picked up a 36 pack of Coors for the party....

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :(

You could have at least gotten something awesome and accessible... but she is the SWMBO, and you can't win. Definitely get back there for the Pistoles, my person favorite of theirs but if you can get a sampler, you cannot go wrong.

Just picked up a single bottle of the Maudite at Trader Joe's. It will be my first Unibroue.

Maudite rules... basically a dark version of La Fin Du Monde... which is still slightly better, mainly based on the kickass name.

Yeah, she said my beer fridge was full enough. I do have my beer fridge stocked full of Guinness, Smithwicks, Hobgoblin, Rickard's White, Sam Adams Boston Lager, amongst other things. She is called the SWMBO because SMBO....right?

There is the translation of these names:

Blanche de Chambly : Chambly's White (Chambly is the town where Unibroue is brewing just a little south of Montreal/Qc/Ca)

Fin Du Monde : The end of the world

Trois Pistoles : Trois Pistoles is a name of a town in Quebec and is pronounced " Trwa Pistol "

Don De Dieu : Gift from God

Ephemere aux Pommes : Apple Ephemeral "Ephemer-O-pom"

Seigneuriale : Seigniorial

Chambly Noire : Black Chambly "Chambly N'war"

Maudite : Damned and pronounced "Moe-deet"

I have only had La Fin Du Monde and Terrible but both were fantastic with fin du monde becomming and all time fav.

My favorite of these is the Don de Dieu, a kind of tripple witbier, and it does not is 9% abv at all, quite refreshing and harming at the time, a good beer.

There is also the Quatrecentième (400th) that was brewed for the 400th anniversary of the city of Québec( my home town). A kind of Saison I think... Pretty good also.

I might have to try a few of their beers again. Back in my later teen years a few friends and I used to drink Unibroue occasionally because it was dirt cheap and was shelved with the less than reputable malt liquors. I've noticed their marketing has changed now a days and their beer is found in the craft section. I admit a bias because I thought it tasted like crap back then and I've been avoiding it since I've developed a taste in the finer things :p.

It's expensive here in the USA. They come in 4 packs, which are generally $10-11 USD for that. It's worth it since it's an incredible craft brew, it's not extremely well known here in the States, most people only know La Fin Du Monde, which is ok to my tastes but more of a lawnmower/summer beer to me (and I do most of my drinking in the air conditioning at night LOL).

You like a 9% lawnmower beer, huh???
And, individual opinions aside, but I believe (have to read the mag again) the Blanche de Chambly is one of the highest-ranked worldwide beers in the BYO magazine latest rankings. Unibroue placed very well with a number of their products. Hey, never hurts to try new beers, right?

I've been very happy with all Unibroue I've tried. Fave: La Fin du Monde. Followed by Blanche de Chambly. Followed by Trois Pistoles.

But, of course, depends what style you like.

Resurrect!

Geez... I live in Ontario and I barely know much about them. I'm just discovering them now! Up until now McAuslan from Montreal has been taking most of my attention. With that said, UniBroue's beer line up fits my tastes better. Currently drinking The Damned or Maudite!

Here's a question tho. The yeast in the bottle... Think it's the same yeast they use to ferment the beer or just a standard neutral yeast used to carbonate?

I was very pleased and surprised to find Maudite at my local Kroger (grocery store) the other day!! ... and this is South Carolina! lol

@mhermetz - that's a great question. I know they recommend not pouring the yeast. Not sure if that has any factor but I would like to know too.

I love their beers! To me they are pretty much in the same category as Ommegang - all their beers are great! I don't dislike a single one. My two fav's by them are La Fin Due Monde and Maudite.

Rev.

Back