Can flattened beer be saved?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewkowski

Reaction score
I posted another thread regarding taking my keg to a party and forgetting my connects. I ended up popping the keg open and siphoning the beer into pitchers. It was carbed just fine at that point. It sat for a few hours with the lid being taken off and on for filling pitchers, and then I couldn't get gas on it until the next morning. So I took the remaining beer and went to bottle it, and when I opened one up it was pretty much flat. If I pour it from eye level I can get a minimal head. So, once it's flat, what is the state of the yeast and is it possible to throw a couple of carb tabs in each bottle and recap?

No, I didn't prime because at the time I thought it was carbed coming out of the keg.

I bottled this about 1 week ago and the bottles are sitting at 70degrees.

Unless you filtered or Pastuerized your beer...you'll be fine. You will be able to recarbonate...but you won't be able to Un-oxidize. You may have changed the flavor profile of your beer exposing it to Oxygen.

As for the yeast...I've propagated yeast from the dregs of a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. They're tough to kill unless you cook them or bombard them with chemicals.

You can also force carbonate in the keg or in Plastic PET bottles with the Carbonator Cap...

So, once it's flat, what is the state of the yeast and is it possible to throw a couple of carb tabs in each bottle and recap?

Yea, you bottled without anything for the yeast to eat, so no CO2.

No other way to truly find out than try, right? Carb tabs are definitely your best bet.

Back