protein rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sephro

Reaction score
I am making an American style ale tomorrow. I was reading on Northernbrewer.com about the American pale 2-row and they say

"2-row easily converts with a single step infusion mash, but a protein rest is recommended for improved clarity."

I have never done a protein rest before. After searching some old threads here it seems that the general consensus is that it's pretty much a waste of time. Last time I made a similar ale it was pretty cloudy. But it was my very first AG beer.

So my question is would a protein rest be worth the trouble for American 2-row??

Thanks!

Nope. Would possibly be worthwhile with 6-row, as well as with a high % of wheat in the grist, but with 2-row I'd deem it a waste of time. Clarity would be improved with a clarifying agent and cold-conditioning/lagering.

Aight.. That's kinda what I was thinking.. I am going to use Irish moss... It's not for show.. just for drinking so a little cloudiness never hurt me before ;)

I saw this post and thought "Protein Rests, I wonder if the Baron has responded yet?" Well of course he had! It is nice to know there are some things in this world you can count on.

Brewpastor said:
I saw this post and thought "Protein Rests, I wonder if the Baron has responded yet?" Well of course he had! It is nice to know there are some things in this world you can count on.
Unlike Presbyterians that go on West Coast brewery binges! I'm sure if the Kaiser weren't packing up and dreaming of New England brewsheds with basements he would have beat me.

If we get two more Presbyterians and we'll have to get a 5th.

(You know- where ever 4 Presbyterians are gathered there is always a 5th)

I always wonder why they don't invite me over. Sometimes I feel like the resident vampire, sucking the life out of people's fun. If they only knew.

Actually, if they knew I would never have been hired!

Back