Cal. Lag. Yeast Diacetly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cregan13

Reaction score
I am making a batch using California Lager Yeast. It has been fermenting away nicely at 60 F. I am getting ready to begin the diacetyl rest, but I am unsure about what temp. to let it rest at. 66? 70? 75? I appreciate the advice.

The way I understand it, you'd be fine either letting it rest at room temp, fermentation temp or even higher than fermentation temp. I've heard of people using it all of those ways - the important part is that you actually let the yeast catch up and consume those byproducts. Three days is usually advised. If you have time, though, give it a week.

So pretty much I wait till the airlock stops bubbling, then just let it sit for 3-7 more days before transferring to the secondar fermenter?

So pretty much I wait till the airlock stops bubbling, then just let it sit for 3-7 more days before transferring to the secondar fermenter?
Right, except you want to be sure your primary fermentation is complete by taking samples to test the gravity - airlock bubbles are unreliable.

Latest posts

Back