What store bought "session" beer do you drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to this I could slug down Boddington's all night! Very expense though couldn't do it for long cash-wise.

I totally forgot about Boddington's! When I was in grad school, I used to buy single 16oz draft cans at the local food co-op for $1.50. I thought that was a sweet deal, but I guess it's about on par with $8 12oz six packs...

If we're talking tall cans let's not forget about Beamish Irish Stout. 4.1%, tasty and pretty affordable.

I keep cold pressed coffee in the fridge, and sometimes put a bit in the bottom of my glass before pouring stouts on top. Delicious with Beamish.

While I don't think its a small beer, I love Brooklyn's 55 Pennant Ale as a session beer. Many a summer's afternoon spent with a 6-pack of 55 PA, a 5lb bag of peanuts and a baseball game on the TV.

Craig

Brakspear bitter is one of my favourite session beers, at a whopping 3.4% ABV. It is full of flavour and doesn't seem like such a low gravity beer. Most of the beers I brew are between 3 and 5%.

I don't think you can go wrong with Pilsner Urquell - at 4.4%, you can drink PU for hours without getting tipsy and its delicious

Einbecker premium pils...............Hands down the best session beer in my opinion.
Either that or whatever is on sale a shnucks:)

I've got a couple that I really like as session beers:

Troegs HopBack Amber Ale
Guinness Draught
Dales Pale Ale

These 3 are distinct (slightly malty, balanced, or slightly hoppy). All 3 are less than 5% (I think) and excellent.

- Smithwicks for a slightly malty drink.
- Warsteiner for heavy consumption in the summer. Nice balanced pilsner.
- Bud's American Ale if I want a bit of hops without going full IPA.

All 3 of these can easily be cloned, BTW.

Left Hand Brewing's Sawtooth Ale. Americanized ESB, exceptionally well-balanced, lots of domestic hop character without being overpoweringly bitter, strong malt backbone that's not overly sweet. Just an exceptionally balanced beer. If I'm going to a desert island but get to bring along a supply of any one beer, it's probably this.

1. Fuller's London Pride
2. Anchor Steam
3. Notch Session Ale (with a name like that, you can't go wrong)
4. Fuller's ESB (while not a true "session" beer, this is pretty much my #1 go-to ale for any occasion)

and on very rare occasions (increasingly even rarer), High Life - $7 for a 12 pack of bottles is enticing...

You can't forget about Coors Original. IMO, that's the best macro out there.

New Glarus Spotted Cow is another favorite session, but you have to be in WI to get it.

It's hard to find decent non-BMC beers at non-beer bars around Dallas. It's either a huge selection or no selection.

At least the ones I go to, which means I have to drink BMC stuff if I'm not in a liquor mood. When I'm at a bar with some choice, I go to Harp or Newcastle. Sometimes Shiner. If I can find it I will also take down many hefes.

Good session beer....Ballast Point Yellowtail ale
Its my BMC without drinking BMC.
Plus they are local :mug:

Latest posts

Back