is my cider infected? (pic)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisone

Reaction score
My friends and I decided to start doing our first hard cider, so we picked up three glass jugs of apple juice/cider at Whole Foods and dropped some Nottingham ale yeast in it. It was pasteurized with no preservatives. Shook it up a little bit, and waited for it to ferment. That was late Wednesday/early Thursday. It was fermenting well by Friday. I checked it today and found out that there's some pink stuff on/near/with the krausen. Is this pink stuff normal for cider or does the weird color mean something else?

Two of them have this, one doesn't. The one jug that doesn't have a krausen that's as large as the others.

http://img291.imageshack.us/i/whatsgoingonhere.png/

Sorry, I meant to post this in the cider forum (I was looking around for answers on this one too). This is still about fermentation, although it isn't about beer. My bad.

edit:
I had some wort fermenting and it has the same problem (so now it's about beer), just to a bigger degree. It would be nice if somebody could confirm this, but I think that it might be Serratia marcescens. If that's the case, it probably had a chance to chill in the water in the airlock. In the future, I'll have to make it a point to put vodka in the airlock instead. Then this might be avoided in the future.

It's going to be tough to dump this stuff. Emotionally, I mean. Turning a 1 gallon jug upside-down over the sink shouldn't be too difficult.

It's ruined! It has turned into a bio-hazard, you should send it to me for proper disposal. ;)

It looks like a good fermentation to me.

Back