1st taste of ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well,yesterday being my b-day,we went to the store to gather up some fixins. My wife told me to pick out any kind of beer I want. "Whatever I want...what a lovely philosophy ya have". Kinda hacked that DFH isn't available in Ohio. The store didn't even get one of their branches in a state where it is to ship some 'round.
But,I start perusing the beer cooler,hoping to find something new in a craft brew. Low & behold,right near the Red Stripe,I spot two examples from Smuttynose Brewing Co.. A pale ale,& one i had yet to try. The Smuttynose IPA. I decided to see what all you hop heads are raving about. The gang down in Australia have a clone called "Smotty" ale. So,we get home & start watching Becker on youtube. We crack open one of my 7 week old pale ales 1st. Bit darker golden color,still a hint of amber. Classic ale head,but unbelievable carbonation! Got a pick to post later.
So,anyway,I have her grab me a smutty ipa (I wonder why "smutty"ipa,lolz). I pour it into a 16oz pilsner glass I get from dollar tree for a buck each. It's a light amber/golden brown sort of color. A bit light colored for the IPA's I've seen thus far. Def some hop haze,not too clear. Nice 1" velvety head. But smell it,&...HOLY HOP HEADS,BATMAN! I can really smell lemon zest kind of aroma,with grapefruit under that. No discernible malt aroma at all. I go for a taste,& blam! My ears smoke,& my hair stands up for a second or so! This brew,imo,reaks of Cascade & Citra hops. I also think the yeast used contributes this sort of flavor/aroma as well. Because it tastes of a lemon zest sort of quality. Def grapefruit under that. It is not,however,bitter at all. Just a metric crap ton of aroma/flavor hops. I think it is heavily dry hopped as well. Maybe some lemon zest for a bit more accent on these flavors?
All in all,I'd say it'd be a good summer sipper. I'd cut back the hop schedule a little,myself. Leave at least some small bit of malt flavor. But that's me,Mr balance. What say you?

I'd say 99.9% of IPA's are dry hopped (if not 100%). Never heard of using lemon zest in an IPA. That's what good hops are for. Glad you enjoyed your first IPA. Most people take while to appreciate them. I know I wasn't won over easily, but I can now proudly wave my hop head flag. Shame you can't get DFH, but are you sure you're looking hard enough? Search for all beer wine liquor stores within a reasonable area and call them up and ask. Smuttynose is VERY good, but if you haven't already, add these IPA's to your list to try:
Great Divide Titan IPA or Hercules Double IPA
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Oskar Blues Gubna
Stone India Pale Ale, Ruination, or Sublimely Self-Righteous (technically a black IPA)

Thanx man. I saw the tasting of Mammoth Brewing's 395 IPA on Gary Martin's show. It sounds even better to me. I wonder if I can find that one in Ohio? The DFH isn't distributed in this state. I'd have to drive 73 miles one way into MI to find three of their offerings. I really want to try their Ancient Ales before trying the "Midas Touch" recipe on this site. It is said to be somewhere between a wine & a mead. But the IPA's are something interesting to explore. Not crazy about them yet. But,Gary Martin was the same way,sooo...
*PS-I finally got enough light today to read the writing on the bottle's neck sticker. It is indeed dry hopped. It didn't say with what.

I live in Ohio and I can buy it at a ton of stores here, As a matter of fact some Krogers grocery stores even sell it (60 minute) in Ohio.

You're all the way at the opposite end of the state from me. I'm up by the lake between Lorain & Avon. We haven't had a Kroger's in decades around here. Anyway,DFH's beer locator says nothing shipped to anywhere in Ohio within 100M in the last 60 days. WTF?
I hate to waste $ on my pay-as-you-go cell phone calling all over to find it. But I sure would love to,so if anyone has some exacting locations,I'd be obliged...!!

Sorry I'm not much help up there, I just wanted to point out that it is in Ohio. At least it is in Cincinnati.

Yeah, our kroger has 60 min. We have it on tap at 3 or 4 bars here too. not gloating, just pointing out.

sucks you don't get dfh up north.

Sorry I'm not much help up there, I just wanted to point out that it is in Ohio. At least it is in Cincinnati.

They sell it in Youngstown and Cleveland at Giant Eagle- I've seen it there.

You have a great IPA "local" to you- Great Lakes Brewery's Commodore Perry. That's a darn nice IPA, and their Burning River is a wonderful cascade APA. The best porter I've ever had is their Edmund Fitzgerald.

More great IPAs in Ohio are Sierra Nevada Torpedo, or Celebration (I prefer Celebration), Crooked Tree (from Darkhorse in Marshall Michigan) and New Holland (from Michigan also) Mad Hatter to name a few. Bell's Two Hearted is my 'every day' drinker, but their Hopslam is a bigger well, hopslam.

Anything you find by Bell's is good, and Founder's also. Pick them up when you go out shopping for beer!

It's all over Columbus...

You can get all year rounds beers except shelter pale and lawnmower, all their seasonals and and a majority of rarities during the year.

My wife is from Ashtabula, I spend quite a bit of time in the area. You are a bit short on places to get "craft" beer. But I think the last time I was in Slappy's they had dfh.

If you strike out there and your up for short trip Mentor. it has a couple of great beer stores that I know have dfh and plenty of other great brews. I would also suggest you check out some of Southern Tier brews, they are brewed in Lakewood NY, not to far from you and are fantastic. If you would like your hair to burst into flames I would suggest trying their 2XIPA.

Save-On Tobacco & Beverage

Thanx for the info/link! Holy brew heads,batman! The place sounds like the Holy Grail of beer stores. Gotta check that place out. But,we do drive farther for cheese (Heini's Cheese Chalet,Berlin,OH) for fresh Amish cheese. So I might as well go on another 1 tank trip to the beer store! Looks like I'm gunna turn into Neil Zurker (1 tank trips guy). And Yooper...do you remember which Giant Eagle in Cleveland? I could try looking at the one in my end of Westlake,on Detroit Rd. (sr254).

Thanx for the info/link! Holy brew heads,batman! The place sounds like the Holy Grail of beer stores. Gotta check that place out. But,we do drive farther for cheese (Heini's Cheese Chalet,Berlin,OH) for fresh Amish cheese. So I might as well go on another 1 tank trip to the beer store! Looks like I'm gunna turn into Neil Zurker (1 tank trips guy). And Yooper...do you remember which Giant Eagle in Cleveland? I could try looking at the one in my end of Westlake,on Detroit Rd. (sr254).

No, I can't remember which one. I rarely get up to Cleveland, and my bother only buys Bud Light anyway so he couldn't tell me.. Sorry! But I assume it's worth a look at several of them, since I've found good beer in both cities in Giant Eagle.

I'll have to search Giant Eagle locations. Or,better yet,my son has worked for them a long time now. Maybe he could ask his boss or something to see which locations carry DFH brews. Then talk to him myself,& give him the low down on another great craft brew. Sure would make my life easier.

Latest posts

Back