Fermentation not reached target

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geordiepete

Reaction score
Hi guys

Im brewing a woodfordes Headcracker kit

The kit makes 26 pints of strong pale ale.

OG was 1062

Target FG is 1020

Its been in the fermenter for a week and has been going well.
I fully intend leaving it another week but I took a hydro reading and it was at 1030. What do you think the chances are of it coming down to 1020 in the next week, kit says it ferment should be done in 5-7 days?

Should I shake it, pitch more yeast or leave it?

I'm not to worried if I lose a bit of the strength from not reaching the TG but i'm going to be bottling this batch and don't want 26 grenades in the cupboard under the stairs :confused:

I'd shake it up first, maybe warm it to the top of the fermentation range for the yeast.

Ok I've shaken it up a bit to try and get the yeast back in suspension and kept a steady 21 deg C, I know this is not the top of the fermenting range for the yeast but it's upper mid range. I can't relisticaly get it any higher than that without making the house into a sauna, unless I use a brew belt which I don't have.

Anyway,

I took a hydro reading this morning as it's been three days since the shake up, I'm still getting 1030 ish. I checked my Hydrometer with tap water to check it's accuracy and it seems spot on.

I have more yeast sitting in the fridge, is it worth repitching at this point?

Or should I leave it longer?

Or...should I accept 1030 as my FG?

:eek:

If it's warm and the yeast is in suspension and the gravity is not dropping over a few days then I think you have a stuck fermentation.

2 things to do.

• Rerack and aerate. (This is just a further stage to the shake method)
  • Shake the crappolla out of it to aerate and repitch a dried yeast with a neutral taste profile.

Bottling at 1030 could give yo bottle bombs or a sweet beer.

Back