why does my corny always clog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopstep

Reaction score
So, I kegged another IPA last week and went to test the beer yesterday. I had the beer in Primary moved it to secondary and dry hopped in secondary. Then later moved it to the keg to carbonate. I have been using hop pellets and every time the hop "mud" somehow seems to evade the numerous strainers I put it through and end up in my keg. I am leaving ample amounts of trub in the bottom of the fermenters and am wondering if I should cut the dip tube or use a bag to strain the rest of the trub out? I have come up with one other idea let me know what you think? I remove the poppet and leave the dip tube in then turn the gas on very briefly to get the trub flowing once I see a good bit I clean up the mess then return the poppet and connector.

Thanks

If you do not mix up the trub before siphoning, and provided you don't carelessly siphon up the trub by leaving the autosiphon or cane down in it, there shouldn't be much that gets into the keg .

I use leaf hops in stretchable white grain socks, like some use to steep grains, and put in a Sanke stainless ball, tie it up and pitch it in.

Even with pellet hops, they should settle out and make only the first beer or so have any trub or hops in it.

Are you letting the siphon hit the bottom of the fermenter?

No, I keep the siphon well above the trub. I may try the grain sock next time.

If you do not mix up the trub before siphoning, and provided you don't carelessly siphon up the trub by leaving the autosiphon or cane down in it, there shouldn't be much that gets into the keg .

I use leaf hops in stretchable white grain socks, like some use to steep grains, and put in a Sanke stainless ball, tie it up and pitch it in.

Even with pellet hops, they should settle out and make only the first beer or so have any trub or hops in it.

Are you letting the siphon hit the bottom of the fermenter?

Back