Please critique my RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emoutal

Reaction score
I've never even tried a Rye beer (and there is no where to buy it up here), but they sure sound interesting. I couldn't find a PM version of a RyePA but I took a look at other recipes and came up with this one (5.5 Gallon batch). I'll be using Deathbrewer's stovetop partial mash method. What do you guys (and girls) think? Anything you'd change (and why)?

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 26.1 %
3.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 26.1 % (late addition)
2.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 21.7 %
2.00 lb Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 17.4 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [15.90%] (60 min) Hops 46.9 IBU
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (30 min) Hops 15.1 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90%] (2 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.6 %
Bitterness: 64.2 IBU Calories: 90 cal/l
Est Color: 10.3 SRM Color: Color

It's not a critique of your recipe but I've never understood the RyePA thing... Which isn't to say that I don't enjoy the style -- but I enjoy it because of the pale ale part, not the rye part. The aroma hops make it difficult to perceive the subtleties of rye. I just feel like there isn't enough differentiation between a rye pale ale and any other kind of pale ale because of the hopping rate. If you're really interested in experiencing rye flavor, you might do better with a rye brown ale or a rye mild.

I think that your beer is going to be good. My only comment is something along the lines of ... With that one ounce of 16% alpha acid hop at 60 minutes, it's going to be bitter.

Back