Ideal fermentation temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
I know fermentation temp is yeast dependent. Right know I ferment in the middle of the fermentation temp for any given yeast. Is there any reason to ferment more toward the bottom or top end? Just wondering what others are doing.

Depends on the style. Higher temps will typically get you faster, more estery fermentations. Cooler temps will typically get you cleaner tasting beers. :mug:

I try and ferment everything around 65-68F....just my preference. Ive havn't had any bad brews due to ferm temp, just other BS things that I wasnt paying attention to.

Unless its a Scottish ale..then I'll try for even lower. 62F....Or if its a Belgian i'll go Higher 70-73F

It does depend greatly on yeast strain, but in the end just use your best judgment and research the yeast before fermentation.
happy brewing.

if you want more esters that the yeast strain brings to the table (fruity)...ferment in the high range of the temp....If you want a Cleaner tasting brew without any flavors imparted by the yeast ferment in the Low range of the temp.

Back