Noobie questions: First Post!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobbrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone this is my first post on this forum. I just started brewing yesterday, and I am very meticulous because I want it to turn out right. I have a 6.5 glass carboy with a fermenter lock (S-Shaped Lock) but now I am getting blow off. I have and extra tube that came with my kit and tried to stick it in the fermenter but it was too big to fit in the hole and too small to fit around the top (I didn't sanitize the tube that i tried to shove in the fermenter... I figured it would be ok since it isn't directly touching the beer and just getting the foam out. Was that a bad move? I'm paranoid about it haha) Unfortunately, my local brew store is closed tomorrow (Sunday). Should I go to like a department store and get plastic piping to fit over the fermenter to create a blow off or? I am currently stuck just putting a bunch of towels around it because I don't know what else to use. I have read that the blow off is normal since it only means that the yest is working really well. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You need a 1" tube to fit inside the neck of the carboy don't worry that you didn't sanitize that blow off will push the nasties out. Just run it into a gallon milk jug just with some water in it to create an air lock...

And sanitize it this time....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNjAx3Omzg]YouTube - Carboy and Blowoff tubing[/ame]

another way is to fit a tube into your bung

blowofftube1.jpg

You need a 1" tube to fit inside the nect of the carboy don't worry that you didn't sanitize that blow off will push the nasties out. Just run it into a gallon milk just with some water in it to create an air lock...

Milk JUG, right? Fow a moment there, I thought you were saying he should run it through a gallon of milk! :cross:

Back