BeerSmith AG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aekdbbop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just started using BS and am about to do my first AG batch.

If I do batch sparging, what mash profile do I chose in BeerSmith?

thanks!

I use single infusion, medium body, batch sparge. I think this sets it at 1.25 qts/lb

I have yet to figure out how to change the strike temp calculations though, so I do them from here.

If anyone can tell me how to change it in BS, I'd appreciate it.

Looking around more and more, it seems they don't have a mash out + batch sparge technique outlines either. Can I write my own or something?

PseudoChef said:
I use single infusion, medium body, batch sparge. I think this sets it at 1.25 qts/lb

I have yet to figure out how to change the strike temp calculations though, so I do them from here.

Looking around more and more, it seems they don't have a mash out + batch sparge technique outlines either. Can I write my own or something?

You can change any of the premade mash profiles to batch sparging by selecting the details button next to the mash profile and looking down to Batch Sparge Options.

Can you clarify your question on changing strike temp calculations?

With BeerSmith, you should be able to create customized mash profiles for nearly all mash techniques, with both batch sparging and continuous sparging: decoction mashes, infusion steps, and temperature steps. Clicking the Add button next to the mash profile will allow you to add any of these steps.

I've never figured out how to make Beersmith do what I want it to do with batch sparging. I think there should be more options there, for example, the number of batches. I just let it calculate the sparge water and then use a pencil to figure out how much I want for each batch sparge.

PseudoChef said:

Double-click on the step, change the step temperature to whatever you want it to be, and click OK. The strike temp will change accordingly.

PseudoChef said:

Single infusion, light/medium/full body profiles are what you're looking for.

If you don't want to use their built-in profiles, it's really easy to build your own. Click add and fill in the details for each step. Really easy.

Shouldn't mash and sparge methods depend on the style you're brewing? Atleast that's what I gather when using BS.

I used BS to calculate my strike temp last brew. It seemed too low to me but I trusted the program. It's possible I made some mistake in my settings but I can't think what. I missed my temps miserably.

Fingers said:
I used BS to calculate my strike temp last brew. It seemed too low to me but I trusted the program. It's possible I made some mistake in my settings but I can't think what. I missed my temps miserably.
There's lots of things that go into the calculation. Beersmith lets you set a few, like grain temp. I don't see anything where you can set if the MLT is pre-heated, though. I use a direct-fired MLT and heat the strike water in it. Beersmith's calculations are just about right on if my grain is coming out of the fridge, so that's I trust it now, but only after trial and error.

sause said:
Thats the "adjust temp for equipment" option. It assumes that you do pre-heat but if you don't you click that button.

I stand corrected. I see now how it makes the strike temp higher when you check it.

You still have to do a little trial and error for your setup, though. Like I said, I direct-fire my MLT and it holds a lot of heat, so the calculations work if I pull the grains out of the fridge even though Beersmith thinks my grains are at 70'. I'd have to go through another round of trial and error to figure out what kind of adjustment to make if my grains weren't refrigerated. :(

Lil' Sparky said:
I stand corrected. I see now how it makes the strike temp higher when you check it.

You still have to do a little trial and error for your setup, though. Like I said, I direct-fire my MLT and it holds a lot of heat, so the calculations work if I pull the grains out of the fridge even though Beersmith thinks my grains are at 70'. I'd have to go through another round of trial and error to figure out what kind of adjustment to make if my grains weren't refrigerated. :(

You tell it what the temp of the grain is and the temp of the MLT is.
But what I found you really need to do is to try it over and over to figure out what temp you need to strike at to hit you mash temp. Once you know that you can play with the different settings on your MLT profile to get it right every time.
I ended up having to set my MLT weight about 15 pounds higher then what it is. Then my temps come out right.

I hear ya. I'm not sure how to really compensate for having a MLT that's 400'F(?) after heating my strike water, though. It would be great to dork around with it more, but I'm able to nail my mash-in temps this way, so I'm weary to change.

I guess the point is, Beersmith has A LOT of options and ways to set things up according to you equipment and procedure. If you can figure all those out and make it work, cool. If not, you still may need to do some trial and error to dial in your setup.

Back