carbing, a bit at a time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChshreCat

Reaction score
Question for the kegging gurus.

Ok... say you have everything you need for a single keg, but want to carb another keg while still serving from another.

Could you take the CO2 from the keg you're serving, connect it to the keg you want to carb, pressurize it to 30 or 40 psi, take it off the gas and reconnect the serving keg. Then every day or so reconnect it to the carbing keg and respressurize it as the CO2 is absorbed?

I would think that eventually the second keg would be properly carbed, but would it take too much extra time to make it worthwhile? How many times would you guess you would have to repressurize the keg until it gets up to proper carb levels? One a day or would it absorb fast enough that twice a day would be better?

What you are talking about is fine. The co2 will be absorbed faster the colder the beer is. This is how I did it before I got another keg setup and big fridge. Keep in mind that you will still need it to settle in at proper serving pressure for a few days when you want to start serving it.

Also, something to keep in mind, while that already carbed beer is not serving it does not need to be on co2. The pressure in the keg will keep it carbed.

Back