Hand blender to aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
As long as it's properly sanitized, do y'all think there would be any problems with using a hand blender to aerate the wort?

I just splash it into the FV, amybe shake the FV three or four times a day to splash the wort for the first day.

but in the 27 gallon conical, I don't worry about it.

I also thought about using my hand blender, but decided I'd never be satisfied with the sanitation, considering its design. Maybe a brand new, wort-only hand blender.

I use a hand mixer. I wipe it down really well w/ Star San first and I soak the actual mixing attachments for a few minutes beforehand.

It whips up a good 2-3 inches of froth on the top, then I shake the bucket to distribute it throughout the wort.

I use a fish aquarium and a diffusion stone for 10 minutes after wort has been chilled. Soak stone and tube in star san and never had problem

Well, I *have* a hand blender. I don't have an aquarium pump and stone. I'm trying to get by on the über-cheap, so I'm using what I have. Which reminds me...I need to check the doughnut shop tomorrow and see if they have any big frosting buckets...

I've used a hand blender (with a whisk attachment) to aerate and it's worked well. Make sure to sanitize it well and it should be no problem.

OMG! A Motor boat would be pissa for this! Throw it into the dishwasher on sanitize, soak in star san, and BAM!
You got blendavision at home? Call your cable provider!

Knittycat said:
Well, I *have* a hand blender. I don't have an aquarium pump and stone. I'm trying to get by on the über-cheap, so I'm using what I have. Which reminds me...I need to check the doughnut shop tomorrow and see if they have any big frosting buckets...

Air pumps and a stone are cheap...I'm in the same boat...working with dimes instead is dollars...I got a battery operated pump at the Walmart in the fishing section...either 8 or 14 bucks.

But a mixer you already have us free. I see no problems. Personally I just stir the **** out of my wort and I've never had a problem

I use a standard blender to areate mead must every batch, works great! Mixes the honey & water, and super aerates the resulting must. I bought a cheap $25 blender just for this purpose.
Regards, GF.

I just pour the cooled wort between the fermentation bucket and kettle a few times.

Well, I have my 25 y/o son do it.

Granted I only do 5 gal. brews.

I use a home depot paint mixer on a drill. Sanitized of course and on high speed, it aerates the hell out of the wort. Cost a few bucks! Super cheap!

Latest posts

Back