Weird film formed on bottle after yeast carbonating beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynxTBW8

Reaction score
About two weeks ago I bottled a Braggot with some corn sugar and ascorbic acid, and now it has an unappealing filmy layer of goobers formed around the neck of the bottle, reaching about 1/2 inch up from the water level, and on the surface of the brew.

lynxTBW8

Suggestions on what i should do + what may have caused this so I can not have this problem in the future?

If the info helps answer my question, it was all grain (well, + honey obviously), 3 gallon. didnt convert well, learned later should not try all grain with all specialty grain, but hey, i was just following a recipe. So I went to the LBS first thing next morning and added in some 6 row and tried again. much more conversion, but starch test did not show complete scarification. due to this i ended up with a 5.25% brew, which is ok, it was quite tasty! I let ferment and settle one month, racking thrice.

p.s. I am a wine and cider guy, this was my first beer, so go easy on me:)

That's a strange brew. Braggot is technically a mead style vs. a fortified beer, but they do ferment more like a beer so long as you used enough yeast.

I want to see your EXACT recipe including OG and FG, yeast used, pitch temps, fermentation schedule, etc.

A braggot should be well above 5.25% alcohol simply due to it being a mead and therefore a higher OG, so I'm kind of afraid your fermentation never finished and you have 3 gallons of bottle bombs sitting there.

Well that would be... bad. It stopped bubbling in a reasonable amount of time, and remained not bubbling for a while, so i assumed it was finished. I attributed the low % to terrible starch conversion. Ok, here it goes.

9.4 lbs honey malt, getto cracked at home (which worked...mostly) in 2.25 gal water @ 156deg F. didn't convert well. left overnight untill I could add 3 lbs cracked 6 row and 2 gallons water the next morning. heated to 155 deg F and buried in blankets, checked after hour, still starchy! left another 2 hours, tasted sweet but iodine still showed starch. Oh well I decided, so i sparged and boiled. added 17 g saaz hops when it boiled, boiled 40 min, then added 52g shredded ginger. @50 minutes added irish moss. boiled another 10 minutes, took off heat, added 4.5 or 5 lbs of honey, and cooled as fast i could. at this point, OG=1.07. used red star montrachet dry. got lots of rotten egg smell, learned later the waiting over night and the fact i boiled it covered (oops, I learn by doing i guess) prob. caused this. @ 27 days, degassed with wand (is this unnecessary?) and @ 30 days, FG=1.03. did not taste sweet, but for sure not dry. bottled w/ corn sugar (dont remeber how much, but I did calculable the correct amount) and a touch of ascorbic acid.
P.S. it looks like my picture didnt show up, any help on how to post pictures correctly?

Back