Where To Buy Potting Compound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerryalan

Reaction score
I have my RIMS set up and wish to integrate more electricity to my brew stand when I get a sub-panel installed in my garage. However, I still need to fill in my element connections with some potting compound but I don't know where to buy the stuff. I looked online and it's pretty expensive from what I've found. Any suggestions?

JB Weld. But it stays pretty runny overnight....so make sure you use gravity to "pool" it over the element...and be sure to prevent it from leaking onto anything else. I don't recommend JB Quick because you need to move really fast....it will start getting hard before you're done placing it.

JB Weld. But it stays pretty runny overnight....so make sure you use gravity to "pool" it over the element...and be sure to prevent it from leaking onto anything else. I don't recommend JB Quick because you need to move really fast....it will start getting hard before you're done placing it.

Should I wrap some electrical tape around the seam to prevent it from leaking onto the element?

I wouldn't use electrical tape at all. It's just going to turn slimy when it gets hot - Even if it's potted over with JB Weld. I think it would eventually cause a leak.

I wouldn't use electrical tape at all. It's just going to turn slimy when it gets hot - Even if it's potted over with JB Weld. I think it would eventually cause a leak.

I was thinking about using it to keep the JB Weld from leaking out but when it cures I'd remove it. Or will the JB Weld be thick enough to not seep though?

I used cardboard from a toilet paper roll, lined with electrical tape, to make a form. The form goes around the wires and screws, the JB Weld is pushed into the form. I hung the elements by the cord overnight to keep the JB Weld in the form while it set.

:rockin:

I was thinking about using it to keep the JB Weld from leaking out but when it cures I'd remove it. Or will the JB Weld be thick enough to not seep though?

That's what I did. Works just fine and the electrical tape pealed right off.

Back