Edinburgh: White Labs vs. WYeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frazier

Reaction score
Are these strains identical? Similar? In name only?

I just started a Scottish ale using WLP028. It got off to a fast start (less than 8 hours), despite White Labs’ caution that it may be a slow starter. They give an ideal temperature range of 65 to 70 (also, “does not ferment well less than 62”), while Wyeast says 55 to 75. This makes it sound like two different yeasts.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to this beer, as both SWMBO and myself have really been enjoying the research into Scottish ales.

Anyone have any experiences they would like to share with the class?

According to the following chart they are the same strain, both from McEwan's. I've noticed that white labs and wyeast frequently will differ in their descriptions of the strains that are supposed to be the same, I think due in some part to just differing opinions but also due to some genetic drift that may have occured in each of their strains since obtaining it.

http://www.mrmalty.com/yeast.htm

I've never used the Wyeast version (I only use White Labs as I live in San Diego and I always get it super fresh, plus I dont have to make a starter or any of that crap) However I do use the WLP028 often as I make a lot of Scottish style ales. (one of my favorites) I've used it in Scottish, strong Scottish, Porters and Stouts and have always been very happy with the results. As I said, I never use starters and only recently started aerating and it always starts off fermenting fast and finishes great. Its probably my most used Yeast strain

Back