Secondary temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyleobie

Reaction score
How closely do you guys monitor the temperature of your brew once fermentation's basically complete and you're clearing the beer? I'm racking to secondary soon and want to find the right temperature range as it's clearing. I've got a nice cooling system, but it only supports one container, so if I can secondary at a higher temperature, that means I can start a new batch before I bottle. I'm also dry hopping.

Fermentation occurred in the mid-60s and my hydro sample has a clean taste to it (it's an IPA).

Is the 70s OK for a clean American yeast like SF-05? What about ambient room temperature?

A higher temp is ok for most yeasts after fermentation is complete or near complete. Not much flavor comes out at the end, and it will probably help the yeast finish.

My secondaries are all at ambient room temp, which is 75-77 this time of year. Doesn't seem to be a problem at all, as long as your first week or so of the primary stage was in the 60s you should be fine. In fact it will probably age and mature a little quicker.

Secondary at ambient is fine - before I stopped doing secondaries, I would do this all the time, not problems whatsoever.

Cool. Good to know. So any ambient temperature that's good for bottling is also good for secondary?

Back