When do I move it to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
I am brewing this imperial stout: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/imperial-stout-127313/

After a rather explosive process (which involved halving the fermenting wort into two fermenters), the fermenting appears to have slowed. I had planned on keeping the beer on for 30 days in the two fermenters. However, what would anyone think of moving them back together into another fermenter after two weeks?

If that's a bad, or indifferent, idea, when would be the ideal move to secondary? The OG on this was 1.100. Would I want to do it after I had reached a certain SG?

--J.

You want to rack to secondary after you have reached your final gravity. Keep it on the yeast for the planned 30 days, then no problem combining the two back together for bulk aging which is very beneficial for an Imperial.

You want to rack to secondary after you have reached your final gravity. Keep it on the yeast for the planned 30 days, then no problem combining the two back together for bulk aging which is very beneficial for an Imperial.

Thanks, Nurmey!

Back