Diacetyl rest for an ale - redundant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thor

Reaction score
I brewed an American Amber last night, and it sits happily bubbling away. The yeast used was Wyeast Ringwood Ale yeast #1187. The Wyeast website says that a "thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete."

I plan on fermenting in the primary for 5-9 days, or 2-3 days after airlock activity stops. I'll then rack it to a secondary for 1-2 weeks. The entire primary / secondary will be around 68-70 degrees (Ringwood calls for 64-74 degree fermentation).

Does this process, a pretty standard primary/secondary process, take care of the diacetyl rest, or do I need to do something else? I know with lagers, one increases the temperature of the primary to about 65 degrees after primary fermentation in the 50's, but with ale, it's always above 65 degrees (in this case, 68-70 or so).

So, is there a "special" diacetyl rest I need to do, or is it covered given the above process? Thanks, all.

You're fine with your process. Rack to a secondary after a week. No need to wait 2 or 3 days after the ferment stops. And stay in the secondary at least 2 weeks. It's always a good idea to let a beer sit in a secondary for a good long while. Most homebrewers try to tush to bottle or keg.

Cheers :D

Janx said:
Most homebrewers try to tush to bottle or keg.

I agree with that!! I left my last brew in the secondary for about 6 weeks. It was more of lack of time than good brewing skills, but the brew is most excellent!!

Within a certain range, longer secondary times are always better. I've met very few homebrewers who will actually let it sit in the secondary too long. So the rule of "the longer the better" is a good one.

I just kegged a stout made at Thanksgiving. Clean as a whistle and no ill effects from being "old" or anything.

Back