The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thin crust
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407369692.828703.jpg

Olives.....(ahem), mushrooms, feta, etc.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407369777.773528.jpg
Done
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407369811.262442.jpg

Fresh garlic and herb and olive oil dip
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407369844.915785.jpg

Paul, where are the pictures of your wood fired pizzas?

The dough is proofing right now.

Honestly I hope to have the dome done by the end of the month and the chimney/flue done short thereafter. I have given myself a hard deadline of September 10. That will allow me to cure/dry it out and learn how to use it before a little shindig I'm having here on the 27th

Fear not lad. Betting against me is a bad play.

Paul, where are the pictures of your wood fired pizzas?

The dough is proofing right now.

Honestly I hope to have the dome done by the end of the month and the chimney/flue done short thereafter. I have given myself a hard deadline of September 10. That will allow me to cure/dry it out and learn how to use it before a little shindig I'm having here on the 27th

Fear not lad. Betting against me is a bad play.

Indeed. 1 full page of Paul t n's posts must mean something supernatural is occurring...

;)

The app is doing strange things.

Can't wait to see that beautiful igloo thingy all fired up!

:mug:

Question for anybody.. have you used a "pizza steel" on the grill? I have a weber Q than can get slammin' hot, I also have a dad in the steel biz who can jet me out any shape/thickness from whatever material with some autocad points. I've got acad, is it worth me bothering the guy for a favor?

I only got one shot of the bottom, and it's not the best clarity:
ykq8x8l.jpg

Here was the crumb:
DuK4FSl.jpg

The bottom was on the lighter side with some decent spotting. It was in for 5:30 and could have been in longer. I posted a picture on p. 173 that is a better shot of some nice browning of a pie that was in for 6:30.

EDIT: here's a direct link to that other pie: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/home-made-pizza-thread-405838/index173.html#post6272521

I like black olives plain. They dominate all the other flavors in pizza and salads so I prefer not to include them.

Try with anchovy fillet. Put the fillet on before the cheese, right on the dough and they sort of dissolve into awesome sauce.
Olive cannot stand up to the awesomeness of anchovy.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Pepperoni, mushroom, and green peppers. I used the stone on the grill so the house wouldn't get all hot. Turned out pretty good, but it cooked uneven. The bottom was nice and crackery and the top didn't get dark enough. Still really good.

1408234283509.jpg

MrNic, I'm looking forward to experimenting with pizza on the grill. I enjoy seeing others doing it and reporting stuff. Some theoretical bits that I've got swimming around - do you think your stone was preheated too much? Assuming you can replicate the heat itself, if you did it again would you put the dough on sooner (lower stone heat) so maybe the top and bottom were closer together upon doneness? or would it not make a difference in the grand scheme?

MrNic, I'm looking forward to experimenting with pizza on the grill. I enjoy seeing others doing it and reporting stuff. Some theoretical bits that I've got swimming around - do you think your stone was preheated too much? Assuming you can replicate the heat itself, if you did it again would you put the dough on sooner (lower stone heat) so maybe the top and bottom were closer together upon doneness? or would it not make a difference in the grand scheme?

My last few pies here have all been on the grill, but I use a cast iron pan with a few slots in it. I find that pizza on the grill is best cooked at a lower ambient heat, otherwise flames / the cast iron scorch the bottom. That said, I generally preheat the cast iron for 15 minutes and throw the whole pie on there (no pre bake of the dough) around 400-450 ambient temperature.

I can imagine the direct flame, of a gas grill at least, almost seeming like too much heat. I don't have my 'custom' pizza steel yet, but i do have a lodge skillet that fits in my grill. Maybe I'll start with that. I just made a dough with some 00 flour I picked up at the local italian market and I'll let that proof for a couple days before screwing up my first grill pie. :eek: Too hot here to mess with an oven.

Here's my trick for pizza on the grill.... put 3 or four empty soup cans on the grill and place your stone on top of them. This gets the pizza up into the top of the grill where the heat is. I always preheat my grill and stone for 45 minutes or so before using a peel to put the pizza right on the stone. Takes a little long to cook the pizza (about 6 - 8 minutes) but makes for a good bake with a crispy bottom and good crumb. I also use an oven thermometer to make sure the temp is in the 600 to 700 degree range.

Nothing better than a homemade pie with a homebrew!

1408516205866.jpg

1408516233710.jpg

You guys/gals look to be some good cooks.

I can only make mini pizzas. They consist of Ritz crackers with a pepperoni on top, sprinkled with cheese and microwaved.

Yoseff... looks like we had similar ideas.

This one is olive oil, garlic, bacon, dates (instead of figs), and with regular high moisture mozz. Topped with dressed arugula and prosciutto.

I baked it as hot as I could on my fibrament stone. Surprisingly the moisture from the cheese cooked off fully and what was left behind was delicious and really crispy.

Next time I'd like to cook the dates down into a soft paste/sauce, and add caramelized onions.

photo.jpg

If i hadn't seen the photo, I wouldn't have known to what you were referring. It's called "Rocket" by most of the world!

Recently I heard there was a particular part of the world about to see lots of "rockets" heading their way.

Latest posts

Back