Keg cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzbromp

Reaction score
So I just finished my first keg and was surprised not to find dried up beer that was difficult to remove. I reminded it with hot water and that's it thus far. I am thinking I should let it soak in pbw hot water for 30 minutes them pump the pbw through the line, then rinse out several times with hit water and pump hot water through the lines to remove any traces of
Pbw, then when ready to refill with beer fill with starsan solution and run through the line to sanitize. Or I could just run it with starsan and skip the pbw and hot water rinse, but I wonder about dried stuff in the outlet line that I can't see.

Any thoughts? Before anyone makes a comment, I am sorry for the run on sentences and bad grammar!

Cleaning the lines every time is a best practice, but not everyone does it. If the beer you just finished and the beer you are about to put in the keg are similar styles, you could go another batch or two without cleaning the lines with no significant side effects. You should always run sanitizer through the lines, though.

Back