Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't really consider Spazz to be punk/hardcore. They were always more Power Violence and whatnot. Still a big fan though. You heard of Charles Bronson (the band)?

Not familiar with Charles Bronson.

I put Spazz on there because a lot of people consider them to be crust. A lot of people also consider crust to be a form of punk.

Not familiar with Charles Bronson.

I put Spazz on there because a lot of people consider them to be crust. A lot of people also consider crust to be a form of punk.

I get you. It's just labels. No one I knew classified Spazz as Crust.

As for Charles Bronson.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few bands i've been listening to non stop at the moment:

Dillinger Four
Banner Pilot
the Suicide File
Small Brown Bike

and

Chuck Ragan's (Hot Water Music) Acoustic albums

This one seems rather fitting...

I know it's not really punk, but does anyone get in to Madness?

I've been a ska fan since this late 70s (when I was 6). Madness was great! Same with the other English ska bands of that time. So many great ska bands from the 60s to the early 90s (and a few from present day). I have tons of records and demo tapes from those days. Too many to name, but here are a few favorites: Busters, Loafers, Skaos, Frits, Mephiskapheles (their first album), Dr. Ring Ding, Prince Buster, Laurel Aitlken, Potato 5, Trojans, Desmond Dekker, Derrick Morgan, Skatalites, Slackers, Chris Murray. Damn, this list could go on forever...

Also, saw some Oi! a number of pages back. How about the Business & the Oppressed?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Oz_XQ7TMKLY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cYt6Q8rnjJo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love the Business, but never heard of the Oppressed. I like their video though. Especially the obvious fact that they're SHARPs. Good find. Ever heard of Argy Bargy?

Love the Business, but never heard of the Oppressed. I like their video though. Especially the obvious fact that they're SHARPs. Good find. Ever heard of Argy Bargy?

I've heard of Argy Bargy, but never heard them before (guessing that they got their name from that Cock Sparrer song). I just checked them out. I like them.

One thing that I really enjoy about a lot of punk, ska, & oi! is that so many bands speak against racism & about social issues and politics. Listening to the Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, and all the Two-Tone bands definitely got me interest in politics and social issues at a very young age.

Here's another old favorite:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ziSW7ahVpzE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just bought tickets for Bad Religion with Rise Against in Denver for April. As many times as i have seen them over the past 20 years, I still can never pass up an opportunity.

Saw The Idependents last night with a surf punk band and a Rockabilly band, The original recipe, who opened for them. It was a good show! Everyone was older NOFX Geriatric Punk came to mind. LOL. The bands were cool though, drank and BSed with them before/after the show. Probably the coolest group I've seen. The Independents do a great ska cove of mother. Not the one below.

Bad Religion is hit or miss. I've seen them several times. Sometimes they play all new stuff but when they play old stuff it's always great.

First time I saw Bad Religion was back in the early 90s. I think it was when Generator came out. Saw them at the Metro in Chicago. All and the Bosstones opened up. Really a great show.

I know some people will argue with me about old Green Day being punk, but they sure as hell had the attitude. What does everyone think of their early stuff?

Green Day's first two albums (Kerplunk and 1,039 Smoothed Out Slappy Hours) are still some of my favoritse.

First concert i ever went to was the Dookie tour, i was like 12 years old.

I know some people will argue with me about old Green Day being punk, but they sure as hell had the attitude. What does everyone think of their early stuff?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCbBgZJXYy4

Listen to something EVERYONE agrees is punk, like The Exploited, The Dead Kennedy's, Black Flag, or the Ramones (and I would argue that there is plenty of variety in just those four bands) and then listen to some Green Day...there is NO comparison. I will allow that Green Day is punk inspired rock that went commercial, but I will never accept them as truly punk.

Don't care if you like 'em (personally I'm not a fan), but they aren't punk rock

Eh, apart from DK , who were extremely talented in every aspect and Black Flag. I'd rather listen to Green Day.

The Ramones wrote the same kind of material, but it was horribly repetitive and the songs were pretty non-sensical. I really don't get the love fest with them. Granted, they put CBGB on the map, but Green Day did the same thing in th East Bay wth Gilman St. and granted i was never there but i'll always appreciate Gilman as a 'punk' venue over CBGB, which was an overpriced dump that was just selling a name.

Now if you were to replace the Misfits with the Ramones, you'd have an argument.

I listened to a lot of Exploited when i was younger, but honestly, they are not a good band and Wattie was a terrible songwriter. Listening to Sex and Violence nowadays is painful honestly.

You consider the Ramones punk, then Green Day is just as punk as them. Listen to Pinhead Gunpowder, Billie Joe Armstrong's other band, just good melodic 'pop' punk, Green Day is no different from bands like Screehing Weasel, The Queers, or even Social D. Granted, they ended up acheiving a lot of commericial success. So did bands like the Ramones, or even the Kinks.

This is all in defense of anything they released up until Dookie. I'm not much of fan of anything past that.

Eh, apart from DK , who were extremely talented in every aspect and Black Flag. I'd rather listen to Green Day.

The Ramones wrote the same kind of material, but it was horribly repetitive and the songs were pretty non-sensical. I really don't get the love fest with them. Granted, they put CBGB on the map, but Green Day did the same thing in th East Bay wth Gilman St. and granted i was never there but i'll always appreciate Gilman as a 'punk' venue over CBGB, which was an overpriced dump that was just selling a name.

Now if you were to replace the Misfits with the Ramones, you'd have an argument.

I listened to a lot of Exploited when i was younger, but honestly, they are not a good band and Wattie was a terrible songwriter. Listening to Sex and Violence nowadays is painful honestly.

You consider the Ramones punk, then Green Day is just as punk as them. Listen to Pinhead Gunpowder, Billie Joe Armstrong's other band, just good melodic 'pop' punk, Green Day is no different from bands like Screehing Weasel, The Queers, or even Social D. Granted, they ended up acheiving a lot of commericial success. So did bands like the Ramones, or even the Kinks.

This is all in defense of anything they released up until Dookie. I'm not much of fan of anything past that.

:rockin:
Couldn't agree more with Barnzy. That is, unless he lived somewhere other than Philly. Then I'd agree with him more. :D

No Ramones, no American punk scene...just sayin!!!

However, I will happily replace the Ramones with the Misfits and I agree about the Exploited. Can't stand to listen to them now but you can't deny they are punk rock. So how about DK, Misfits, Black Flag, aaaannnnd the Vandals (who are arguably more suburban punk like Green Day tried to be) or even Iggy and the Stooges if you want more old school. We can argue all day about who is and who isn't punk (personally I think the Cramps are punk as hell but most would call them psychobilly or something other than punk), but Green Day will always fall into the non-punk side for me.

I agree you can argue either side til you're blue in the face.

But, the only punk things about the ramones were leather jackets and fast 3 chord songs.

Id take the MC5 anyday over the ramones.

Oh yeah, and the second Wattie traded his Mohawk for Blue dreadlocks or cornrows or whatever it was, lost all punk points in my book. There's so many better British bands. Like one of my favorites....like the UK Subs!

Also, As a side note, the punk scene in the 90s changed drastically in America compared to the late 70s through the 80s. Punk rock went hand in hand with skateboarding, and the mass appeal grew as that sport did. And the southern Cali bands really changed the sound. It became more melodic and the guitar players became a lot more talented. I hate the offspring, but their first album (ignition)was punk as ****.

You can dislike what a band became, but you can't ignore or deny their roots.

Oh yeah, and the vandals ****ing rule.

I think some people are forgetting why the Ramones were punk rock. At the time they came out arena rock was EXTREMELY popular. Songs were sometimes up to 10 minutes long (some even longer) and some people were bored by that. The Ramones were one of those bands that didn't want to listen to a 6 minute song even though that is what was widely accepted as the way to write good music at that time. Therefore they went out of their way to write songs that got to the point and finished even though most people didn't want that and it was nowhere near popular.

They didn't follow a standard, they created their own and didn't care what anyone thought of it.

Also, As a side note, the punk scene in the 90s changed drastically in America compared to the late 70s through the 80s. Punk rock went hand in hand with skateboarding, and the mass appeal grew as that sport did. And the southern Cali bands really changed the sound. It became more melodic and the guitar players became a lot more talented. I hate the offspring, but their first album (ignition)was punk as ****.

Not trying to sound like a jerk, but Ignition was their 2nd release. The first one was self titled and had 11 tracks on it. It's equally as good as Ignition.

True...I love early Metallica but loathe what they became. Saint Anger??? WTF??? I was part of that late 80's early 90's change that came with the skate scene. It was hard to draw a line between punk (UK Subs and SubHumans kick ass) and thrash like Suicidal Tendencies. We listened to it all. I'm not even going to say that GD and Offspring didn't start off punk. But they became something just as vile as Metallica.

But...

"Do you have the time, to listen to me whine?"

No. No I do not. Not now. Not ever. You suck big fat donkey balls you wannabe poseur POS....F%$@ YOU!!!

Punk is dead...Long live punk :rockin:

Completely agree. No punk band would ever have a broadway musical....I detest what green day became....but yeah, i still love kerplunk.

Metallica Kill Em All one of my favorite thrash metal albums. But, goddamn have they turned into a suck machine.

dfc said:
I think some people are forgetting why the Ramones were punk rock. At the time they came out arena rock was EXTREMELY popular. Songs were sometimes up to 10 minutes long (some even longer) and some people were bored by that. The Ramones were one of those bands that didn't want to listen to a 6 minute song even though that is what was widely accepted as the way to write good music at that time. Therefore they went out of their way to write songs that got to the point and finished even though most people didn't want that and it was nowhere near popular.

They didn't follow a standard, they created their own and didn't care what anyone thought of it.

I think this is what truly defines punk.

It's not the songs or the sound, as much as the attitude and the current circumstances. What made a band punk was how they bucked the trends and didn't give a f@*#!

So, to call a band punk now (or what is considered to be "punk rock") is ridiculous, when they have a sound that is the same as 100 other bands.

The Misfits was one of those bands I never really got into. I'm not even sure why, they just never did anything for me. I saw them w/ Michael Graves though.

The Misfits was one of those bands I never really got into. I'm not even sure why, they just never did anything for me. I saw them w/ Michael Graves though.

Wow, sucks for you...Misfits kick ass!!!

I will say I like some stuff WAY more than others, mostly the early Static Age and Misfits tunes. Where Eagles Dare is dark and brooding punk awesomeness :rockin:

The closest I ever got to seeing the Misfits was a totally hot all girl punk band in houston back in the early 90's called Stinkerbell who had a song "I saw the Misfits... When You Were Only Six!" I think I was in lust :D

Now that I think about it, I'd probably rather see the totally hot all girl punk band than the big ugly sweaty musclebound guys any day!!!

Latest posts

Back