Infection? (Pics included...n00b!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinBeer

Reaction score
Ok, I promised I wasn't going to n00b out and panic...but, that's just not in the cards today.

I started my first brew a couple of weeks ago, and just bottled today. The beer smells a little strange but didn't taste bad. This is the Ale kit that comes in the standard Mr. Beer kit.

So, what is this stuff? This is all that was on top of my brew, everything else looked normal.

failbeer.jpg

I am hoping you all say it is normal...but, I don't think that is going to be the case.

Looks like mold. If you bottled already then that's all I could say. Should prabably be fine

Could be wrong, but that looks quite a bit like mold. You may be able to rack from under it and be fine.

Edit: Didn't see you had already bottled.

It is pretty amazing how symmetrical that looks. It definitely doesn't look like a bacterial infection, but it could be mold. Don't toss your beer. Just give it a few weeks and see how it tastes.

Nothing to do now but wait and see. Mold in beer is a lot like mold in cheese. If you cut around it, the rest of the product is usually enjoyable.

Now you need to get on to your next batch.

+1 on mold. But, the good news is that it won't kill you! Drink it quickly is my only advice, if it turns on you then you'll have to dump it.

I would never drink that brew you want to get sick? mold is bacteria its not worth risking besides it will be in the back of your head whats in the bottle everytime you crack one open.

I would never drink that brew you want to get sick? mold is bacteria its not worth risking besides it will be in the back of your head whats in the bottle everytime you crack one open.

Mold is fungus, not bacteria! Jeebus people, don't post **** you know nothing about. You won't get sick from drink a beer that had mold growing on the top. Just don't eat the mold...

Isn't it cool how organized a mold colony can be though? I always find it amazing the symmetry/shapes they have.

Rule #1 about beer, whether you made it yourself or bought commercial:

There is nothing that can hurt you that can survive in beer.

Rule #2 is: re-read rule #1.

Mold is fungus, not bacteria! Jeebus people, don't post **** you know nothing about. You won't get sick from drink a beer that had mold growing on the top. Just don't eat the mold...

+10 to this. Btw, that 'mold' looks pretty amazing. They are like snowflakes.

So, let's start thinking of names for this batch now shall we?

JustinBeer, what kind of a beer is it? Fuzzy Porter?

Fuzzy Porter?

LMAO

JustinBeer, you gotta remember that brewing was used for millennia to make water drinkable. Don't fret the mold this time, and just be more sanitary next time.

I would be interested in hearing how this happened though. Did you forget to clean/sanitize something? Did you sneeze in your fermenter? Did the dog come over and drink some wort?

I'm glad someone else pointed this out before I got to the page.

just drink it with a big hunk of blue cheese.. Even if its off you wont taste it:p

Mold isn't bacterial. I think you will need to do a proper cleaning and brush up on your sanitation.

You guys are great!

Funny you mention the dog - I believe it may have been from a rouge hair or something...my girlfriend took several breaks from brewing and may have touch the dog (yeah, thats right - I am passing the blame)

It may have also been a sanitation issue - this was my first brew and I didn't take that part too seriously...oooops!

I will update this thread in a couple weeks to let everyone know if I make it out alive!

Cool mold! One thing to note about Mr. Beer, the lid isn't "sealed"; it lets out CO2 during fermentation so it doesn't blow up. So, make sure you don't move the keg around while it's fermenting. The CO2 blanket will rest on top of the beer during fermentation, but if you move the keg it can push CO2 out and pull outside air in (with dust etc). And don't open the lid until you're ready to bottle, you'll let the cushion of CO2 out. Use the spigot to get a gravity reading if you want, when you think it's done fermenting.

Frodo - I did move the keg twice, which may have done exactly what you have described. I will make sure to keep it in one place this next time around and with extra sanitation, hope for better results.

Rule #1 about beer, whether you made it yourself or bought commercial:

There is nothing that can hurt you that can survive in beer.

Rule #2 is: re-read rule #1.

I thought rule #1 about beer was drink a pint.

And rule #2 if you are still worried see rule #1.

Latest posts

Back