Washing Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigB

Reaction score
Does anybody know how (roughly) a jar of washed yeast (using the stickied method) compares to the number of viable cells in a new vial? I assume you would still make a starter, but how would you know if you were under or over pitching?

Too many variables to decide... size of the jar, viability of the yeast after washing, effectiveness of your decanting method... I have just been assuming that my washed and collected yeast is enough to make a good starter and haven't been let down yet.

Too many variables to decide... size of the jar, viability of the yeast after washing, effectiveness of your decanting method... I have just been assuming that my washed and collected yeast is enough to make a good starter and haven't been let down yet.

Thats what I figured, but thought that maybe there was some general consensus. I'm going to try this method described in the sticky just to see what happens. If it works, I assume one could save a ton of money not buying yeast at $7.25 a vial/package.

Is this too much yeast to pitch into an average 5-6 batch?
11l0vht.jpg

I usually go with about 100 ml in a 1.5L starter for a 5.5 gallon batch at 1.050-1.060. Seems to work quite well for me.

Back